lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-07-2011, 12:54 AM   #1
87ezgo
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Unhappy 86 ezgo Marathon No Spark issue!

Hey guys, this is my first post on this site. let me start by saying i appreciate everything that everyone does on this site! I finally found a cart after looking for months.. its an 86 ezgo marathon. the guy i bought it from, sold it because he could not get the thing to spark at all. he replaced the ignitor, coil, and i replaced the soleniod. I have gone through all of the wiring and the only thing i can guess is there is a bad ground somewhere or the pulsar coil is going out? One thing i dont understand is, once in a while i will get a spark or two when i first turn it over. Im not to familiar with these carts so any help would be appreciated.
87ezgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-07-2011, 08:11 AM   #2
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 86 ezgo Marathon No Spark issue!

You could be right with regard to the grounds, this is the most common issue. It is important that the ground to the frame is clean and tight so I would advise that you remove the bolt and clean the frame down to bare metal as well as the cable lugs. Another common issue is a missing strap. You should have a ground from this common ground point to the engine. Without this the engine will try to find another ground such as the choke cable.

Another common issue is that the ignition wires can corrode or even snap where they are crimped, then the rubber sleeve holds it together so it looks good. I would gently pull off each connector (one at a time) and check for rust then gently pull the wire and connector to see if is sound.

The test for your pulsar is to measure with a multimeter. Across the two wires you should see 75 - 150 ohms. Now with the meter set to the lowest ac range crank the engine. You should see something like 1/2 volt.

Dave
Dave Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 09:49 AM   #3
87ezgo
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Ok, thanks so much for the help. Im going to try messing with the grounds and see what happens. ill probably get a meter to check the pulsar too. ill be back later with some news.
Old 07-07-2011, 11:19 AM   #4
87ezgo
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

ok well i went through the grounds, sanded the frame etc. still nothing. is their any other way to test the pulsar coil? i dont have a meter right now. also i am still getting a spark or two once in a while when i first try to start it. I have no clue what to do next!
Old 07-07-2011, 12:32 PM   #5
87ezgo
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

now its its sparking once when i press the pedal and once when i depress the pedal? does anyone know what this means?
Old 07-07-2011, 01:30 PM   #6
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

It is really not feasible to repair your cart without a meter. It could be a host of problems and you could replace the pulsar, the ignitor and the coil only to discover that the 12volt line from the solenoid was not stable.
Get yourself a little cheap multimeter from Radio Shack or Walmart then we can get this thing diagnosed.

Dave
Dave Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 02:52 PM   #7
burgerking
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

yes your ignitor has gone bad and they are expensive but i gaurentee this is your issue withe the cart
burgerking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 02:53 PM   #8
burgerking
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

you need and ignitor
burgerking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 03:32 PM   #9
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

I'd take Daves advice and pick up a cheap meter - there are many reasons that you would be getting these symptoms, and we can lead you through a series of simple tests to help diagnose the actual problem ...

Once you get your hands on a meter :)

And as to the post RE your ignitor being bad - let's not get wrapped up in diagnosis we can't confirm at this point, again, there are several simple ways to pinpoint the problem, and even if it IS the ignitor there is a workaround (HEI Mod) which will run you about $25-40, tops ...

Get the meter
BrewCityMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 07:43 PM   #10
87ezgo
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

ok guys thanks for your help so far, i picked up a meter today, now what should i be testing here? sorry for all of the questions! and burgerking, it has a new ignitor in it, and i get spark once when i press down and let off the pedal, and thats it. none when its turning over..
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO