lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-15-2011, 09:16 PM   #1
Philberk
Not Yet Wild

Default unsure seized or not.

I recently found a big problem on my 2004 ezgo gas cart. I am new to ownership and have had a summer of issues.
While riding yesterday my cart went very sluggish with the gas pined. I had a whining and pinging noise too. I turned it around and brought it back to camp.I could smell burning. When I lifted the seat even more so. I took the oil cap off and again the smell. Upon checking the level it was not readable (very low) i let it cool down overnight and added some fresh synthetic oil. My question is can I save it? I was going to let the cart sit till fri. I am just freaking out and hoping that time , a cooler lubricated engine sitting will be ok.:help
Philberk is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-15-2011, 09:36 PM   #2
rib33024

Default Re: unsure seized or not.

Welcome to BGW

It don't sound good, you should of pulled the plugs and poured some oil in the plug holes and then tryed to turn the motor over to make sure it was not frozen up, can't really say what going to happen at this point
rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 09:39 PM   #3
1989Marathon
Gone Wild

I had an old Briggs motor shut down once. I couldn't even pull the recoil cord. Turned out it was out of oil. I filled it with oil, let it cool down, and it started right up. I've been using it ever since with no problems. Maybe you'll get lucky.
1989Marathon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 08:27 AM   #4
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

Once again we discover that life is a cruel teacher, she gives us the test first and the lesson afterwards. The lesson in this case is that you can't beat regular maintenance. Here is what I would do.

You have without doubt boiled all the oil off the cylinder walls so before you do anything remove the spark plugs and pour some engine oil in there. Just let it soak for a while and then try to turn the engine by hand (If it is seized and you use the starter you are just going to hurt it more). If it does turn by hand breathe a big sigh of relief. Now check the oil level again, put a rag or two over the spark plug holes and crank the engine to blow the oil out. Replace the plugs and try to start it up.

If it starts then I would drain the oil to get rid of the bits of metal that you have inevitably put in the oil pan and replace the oil filter. Whilst you are there you could also consider replacing the air filter, the fuel filter and the plugs.

Good luck
Dave

Last edited by Dave Box; 08-16-2011 at 08:28 AM.. Reason: .
Dave Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO