lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-19-2011, 05:41 PM   #1
motorbreath53
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Default GUTTED Project Cart (first timer)

Another project toy, another forum..

I've done some searching, but this is my first cart, and my list of questions seems endless.

I've just aquired this in trade for some fabrication work on a friends cart (bumpers)

From what i've read so far, its an 88' Club car. It seems to be in resonable shape with no major body damage etc. The motor looks clean, and the brakes/park brake work well.

The bad:
Its been stripped of its electronics. The motor is in place, but No batteries, no controllers, no resistors, no cables etc.

My goal is to get it driving, and eventually add a lift, bumpers, IPOD amp/speakers, paint and seat covers. It will just be a "campsite cruiser" for the desert, so it certainly does not need to be the BADDEST cart in the desert...

It sounds like the perfect time to go to a 48v system for sure, but what else would you guys suggest?

If you were to be completely building a new system for this electric cart, what would you add ?(power system wise) Is there a kit thats worth while for such a project?

Thanks for any and all your help.
Danny

motorbreath53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-19-2011, 05:47 PM   #2
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

Default Re: GUTTED Project Cart (first timer)

now is the perfect time to go 48 volt........batteries, controller ( 400 amp min ) 48 volt solenoid, PB6-potbox, 4 gage cables, 48 volt F&R switch, charge receptical and 48 volt charger and a few other misc things.....................oh and welcome and have fun............................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 08:42 PM   #3
motorbreath53
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Awesome. Thanks for the reply.

Looking at the diagram, if I use a PB-6 pot box, do I still need to find a resistor group assembly? Or will that be deleted as well?

I'm trying to make a "things to buy" list.
Old 09-19-2011, 08:51 PM   #4
motorbreath53
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

So, i'm finding a SIGNIFICANT difference in price between the 250amp controllers and the 400amp.

What is the reason for the "400amp or higher" controller? Again, not trying to sound like a belly acher... just trying to understand.

thanks again for all the help.
Old 09-19-2011, 10:04 PM   #5
Colbyntx
Gone Wild

Club Car

Us guys pay to go faster!
Colbyntx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 10:45 PM   #6
sonicj
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorbreath53 View Post
Looking at the diagram, if I use a PB-6 pot box, do I still need to find a resistor group assembly? Or will that be deleted as well?
lose the resistors. the solid state controllers replaces all of that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorbreath53 View Post
What is the reason for the "400amp or higher" controller? Again, not trying to sound like a belly acher... just trying to understand.
225A is fine if you just want to cruise around, but not if you plan on doing any performance upgrades. larger tires, speed & torque upgrades all consume additional amps, thus requiring a larger controller.
-sj
sonicj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 03:28 PM   #7
motorbreath53
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

You guys are awesome. Thanks a lot. I found a thread that gave a sort of, "electric carts for dummies" run down. These aren't complicated at all once the basics are explained. I feel MUCH more comfortable with where i'm heading now. I'll be sure to post up some progress pics.

Now I just need to convince the wife that another toy takes priority over new floors...
Old 09-21-2011, 03:43 PM   #8
rib33024

Good luck

so I guess your going to be putting in new floors this weak
rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car