lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-13-2011, 11:04 AM   #1
tony440x
Not Yet Wild

Default install 23 hp vangaurd in ezgo gas?

Okay so I'm in the process of buying an ezgo. I've been looking hard sand just haven't found one. I am going to make my own "bad boy hunting buggy". What types of expenses or problems should I be aware of with installing a bigger engine? Is there an "easiest" route? Thanks a lot.
tony440x is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-13-2011, 11:18 AM   #2
tony440x
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: install 23 hp vangaurd in ezgo gas?

I already have the engine so this why I'm set on that particular engine.
tony440x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 12:17 PM   #3
AirJunky
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Look thru the Big Blocks section of this forum. Lots of guys running the Vanguards & Hondas.
BigBlockMan & his site http://www.cartpartsplus.com seem to be the authority on it. He makes a bolt in engine cradle if your using an EZGo made after 1995.

I took the "easiest route"..... buy it already made. Still plenty of other things to do on it too.

Good luck & welcome to the chaos!
AirJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 12:53 PM   #4
drag racer
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

ditto on CPP....Tom's kit will be your easiest route for a Vanny swap for sure.
drag racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 12:59 AM   #5
csason
Love my Big Block

E-Z-GO

You will need a cradle, which the easiest and fastest bestest way is using one pre made, with all the *issues* worked out..and the Cart Parts Plus one is the one to go with..it is the same one as the previous posters alluded to..Tom at CPP.

You will also need to have more clearance to fit the engine in a stock cart..this applies to all of them, although there have been those rare cases where someone went to great and relatively expensive lengths to big block a cart and make it so they did not have to lift it.

There is a build on this forum related to that.

So, you have to have the mount, (cradle) AND clearance, so a stock cart will have to be lifted..I think the minimum would have to be 3", but 4" is better.
Once lifted, you will probably feel a lot more secure if you add the kind of tires that have a little offset on the rims..as when you go taller, you offset the center of gravity just enough that IF you add a 23 hp big block, you might not feel safe..just an idea..it was that way with me.

So, cradle, Lift, and more than likely tires and rims.

Next, you will have to have some sort of exhaust, although you might be able to use the exhaust you have.

Also, if your engine that you want to put in has a 1" shaft, you will need an adapter to fit a stock EZ go clutch on it, and many suggest dumping the stock clutch and going with a better clutch for big blocks, something to think about.

I would be comfortable taking my stock cart offline and ripping the engine out, IF I have the cradle, a clutch adapter, a lift kit, and very soon after, tires and rims, and an exhaust system that moves the exhaust to the rear of the cart. and an engine.

My 2 cents.

I put a dropped axle lift kit on front, flipped my axle on back to save money and because I like the lift better, I did some tricky weird stuff to my 23 Vanny to make my stock clutch fit, and since I rarely go over 20 miles and hour I am happy. I bought the cheepest offset rim over size turf tread I could get...so far I am happy.. Oh I did spring for the stainless header for the Vanguard from CPP, because I got tired of clamping EMT and pipe together for my exhaust.

Good luck, you will enjoy every second on your big block cart.
csason is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO