lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-23-2012, 07:22 AM   #21
rjc799
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Found an 85 EZ-GO Marathon gasser

I have the same style tires that came on mine (Super Swamper Vampires). Seems like a tough tire, but won't do me much good on my neighborhood streets. I am sure that mine are going to ride rougher than all get out on the roads, but this type of tire should do great in your fields.
rjc799 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-23-2012, 08:36 AM   #22
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

These are the ones I used, they have them in 3" (1.5" per side) or 4":

http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-EZ-GO-EZGO...3984a2&vxp=mtr

I liked the idea of the more solid spacers as you are looking at, but after talking to some hardcore ATV guys, etc i was convinced that the strength difference was nil (regardless of my initial reaction based on appearance) and at half the price, it was a no-brainer ... Glad I did it too, after 2 years of serious (and ask around here on the forums if you don't believe I mean SERIOUS) abuse, they are still going strong... But as with anything, your mileage may vary, LOL. MY mileage is spent about 40% of the time airborne, 15% of the time hung up on the frame due to lack of foresight (or just plain drunken idiocy) and even on a GOOD well-behaved day, generally I manage to get up on 2 tires cornering, etc ... Don't forget, you're talking to a guy who has managed to literally blow a hole through the piston on a 2PG - NOT an easy task, or at least not recommended for the faint of heart, hahahahaha

AAAAAARGH - You never mentioned replacing the shocks, dangit - stock Geo Tracker Monroes number one have the same damping rate, etc as the stock shocks but ALSO have the added benifits of being the correct length to use with a 4 or 5" lift kit WITHOUT the shock extenders (OH, and they're like $15 each ...) - I can get you the actual part number if you decide to go that route, sorry I didn't see THAT one coming sooner

Kenda makes good tires from what I've heard, but I have no firsthand experience with them so I can't definitively comment ... Now granted, I did my project 2 years ago but the going rate for discontinued or clearance tires back then was closer to $45/tire on average, so again, I would make some calls and see if a human can't work out a better deal for You or at least maybe find something for You in the backroom, etc (totally Your call, of course - I know how wasting time like that can get frustrating when all You wanna do is ride, LOL) - as to mounting, these tires are some of the easiest to mount I've ever seen/done due to the huge sidewalls (on the 8" rims anyhow) so You should be able to easily do it yourself with a $8 pair of tire spoons from Harbor freight (or carefully with a pair of BIG screwdrivers and a flat piece of steel if you're at all like me - just PLEASE if you're going to mount them in the kitchen make SURE Your "other half" isn't planning on coming home mid-project, THAT is an ugly deal and if it happens, You're on your own!)

Lastly (WOW I guess I drank a LOT more coffee than I thought ths AM, LOL) I am slightly unsure of going 12" on the width, especially if you go a full 2" on each side w spacers in the front (best to either stick w 11's which have been proven to fit, or wait and see if You can't confirm with another Marathon owner who has gotten away w the 12's) ... Again, Your mileage may vary !!!

OH - and have fun w the motor mounts, it's a "smooth sailing" job until you find those specially-placed 2 rivets that A: defy drilling unless you happen to have a really short broken bit to use or a stubby/right angle drill, and B: likewise getting a good grip on the rivetool when replacing them. Passenger rear, both of 'em - *shiver* - ugly memories, LOL

Dale
BrewCityMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 09:32 AM   #23
rjc799
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Great response Brew. Do you have the part number for the shocks? I already KNOW that mine will need replaced, but i currenlty have coil overs.
Old 05-23-2012, 11:10 AM   #24
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

The rear shock is part # 31000 and the Front shock is part # 31125 (Monroe Part #s) ... The coil-overs totally LOOK cool, but obviously with the weight of a cart, multiple riders, etc don't do a lot to assist in your suspensions' capabilities ...

ALSO (Going back to the 85 we're discussing) I totally forgot, if you want to use 2" spacers and 12's on the cart there IS an easy way to ensure they'll fit (the rear isn't an issue) - 88-up Marathons have front leaf springs that are just about 1" over the stock length for 87-down, brand new set will run you about $50-ish if I recall, will restore any lost suspension due to the age of the cart, wear and tear, etc, and will move your axle out that inch you'll need to ensure the small difference in tire width won't create a problem !!! OH - and that extra length on the front end of the older Marathons really LOOKS cool too, as well as the functionality!

(I just realized my forum name should be "Fifty" - looks like almost every solution I have up my sleeves runs around, well, $50, hahahahaha)

Once you're all rebuilt and running, etc then we'll start talking the cool, useful TEN-TWENTY dollar stuff, tachometer, high-flow air cleaner, etc :)

Last edited by BrewCityMusic; 05-23-2012 at 11:12 AM.. Reason: forgot stuff, had to start over, LOL
Old 05-23-2012, 11:54 AM   #25
Herm715
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Try eBay for rebuild kit. Bout $350 for my 2ppg. Pressing bearings was a bear so I brought mine to a pro. I wud suggest a different motor, they r expensive to rebuild n no power...
Herm715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 01:10 PM   #26
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

Problem with that, Herm, is that with a replacement engine (non-2pg) you lose reverse, which few people are willing to do (unless you completely swap the rear end with it, etc which is a far more expensive or involved project than a Marathon is worth) ...

You're right on the bearings though - most people just take it on the chin and have that done for them.

I hit between 22 and 23mph on the GPS with my basically stock 2PG (although mine is the 88 "high performance" version) - much faster and the inherent nature of the handling with a lifted cart starts putting you in a dangerous position, if you need more takeoff power or hill-climbing, towing, etc ability then a new drive belt about 1" shorter than stock makes a HUGE difference, albeit at the cost of a bit of top end speed.
Old 05-23-2012, 01:29 PM   #27
Herm715
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

I hear ya on the reverse brewcity. If I had to do it again, id swap out rear end n use 420cc 4 stoker frm harbor freight. There is 2 4 stroke rear ends on craigs list for $200 rcj. I'm in $1100 on my 2pg n its a dog! New predator 420cc is only $300! Rcj I had bout everything go wrong on my marathon, if u get stuck on sumthing lemme no, I've fixed the whole cart it seems :(
Herm715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 02:46 PM   #28
rjc799
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

THANKS Herm!!!!!!

Btw, in preparation you may want to clear your schedule for the next few weeks.

My secret (due to the ill chosen thread name) build thread: http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/lifte...4503-hmmm.html
Old 05-23-2012, 03:16 PM   #29
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

I've been checking in all day *just* in case we can avert another "overspending" incident, hahahahaha ....

Seriously though, I totally made a TON of "misspends" during the whole cart project, some out of impatience, some out of just plain not knowing what I was doing as this was my first cart - the forum guys were always there to help, that's the saving grace!
Old 05-23-2012, 03:37 PM   #30
rjc799
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewCityMusic View Post
I've been checking in all day *just* in case we can avert another "overspending" incident, hahahahaha ....

Seriously though, I totally made a TON of "misspends" during the whole cart project, some out of impatience, some out of just plain not knowing what I was doing as this was my first cart - the forum guys were always there to help, that's the saving grace!
That is me. I am basically starting from scratch and have no clue. ALL advice is welcome. I have been trying to write it all down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herm715 View Post
I hear ya on the reverse brewcity. If I had to do it again, id swap out rear end n use 420cc 4 stoker frm harbor freight. There is 2 4 stroke rear ends on craigs list for $200 rcj. I'm in $1100 on my 2pg n its a dog! New predator 420cc is only $300! Rcj I had bout everything go wrong on my marathon, if u get stuck on sumthing lemme no, I've fixed the whole cart it seems :(
Not by me
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO