lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-20-2014, 12:27 PM   #11
Vince B333
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Re: 2006 Precedent very slow to start

Hey AZDave, having the same problem as you with my 2006. What gives? Replaced S/G back in Oct. (with re-built from a place in Tucson). Replaced battery 2 weeks ago. Still no joy. Problem is, nine out of ten times it starts up OK, then (and especially when engine warms up), might happen ever third time. Press on gas and nothing for a couple of seconds (relay does click). Feels like resistance on the S/G on compression stroke as you have mentioned. Didn't happen when S/G was replaced, ---- was good for at least 3-4 months, then this started. Question for you (to try and isolate issue), ever drive it around at night with the lights on? Even with my new battery, I can notice a slight 'flicker' with the headlights while driving. Sorta leads me that the S/G might be the problem?
Vince B333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-20-2014, 05:11 PM   #12
azdave
Not Yet Wild

Vince,
After all I (we) have done, I'm going to open up and clean out the S/G. Mine is a little over a year old and is a heavy duty model they normally put in the carryall work vehicles like used at construction sites, etc. There should be nothing wrong with it, but it's worth a try.
Hopefully I can get to it sometime this week and will post what I find.

AZDave
azdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 07:29 PM   #13
tpg
Gone Wild
Club Car

Here's what I would try. Take a set of jumper cables. First Take the neg cable and jump from the battery - side and put the other end on a good grounding spot on the starter. If it starts quicker , look for a bad engine ground. Then take the Pos from the battery to the white post on the starter. It should start cranking as soon as you touch the post. If the problem is still there I would assume you have bad brushes or armature wear or short.
tpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 11:19 AM   #14
azdave
Not Yet Wild

tpg,
I can't believe I was thinking of buying some new cables to check out my problems. Using jumper cables just didn't occur to me - duh!
Anyway, I tried the jumpers as you suggested.
Before doing anything I tried to start the cart = about 3 second hesitation before starting. Then got the jumpers:
Negative battery to starter ground = no change
Positive battery to positive starter = starter running ok.
Then I tried solenoid positive (from battery) to starter = starter running ok.
Finally tried solenoid to starter side pole to starter = about 3 second hesitation starting.
So, I assume that the solenoid or the cable from the solenoid to starter is bad.

Maybe I'll start with the solenoid. Any more advice?
Many thanks for your help

AZDave
Old 04-21-2014, 08:47 PM   #15
tpg
Gone Wild
Club Car

I would check the ground wire from the starter to the frame connection . A bad ground can cause this problem. Corrosion inside the wire can cause it. Feel all the wires to see if any are getting warmer. Including the ground wire. The positive wire fom the battery to solenoid is notorious for corrosion inside the casing.
tpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 03:26 PM   #16
xman67
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

What was the outcome- the thread just ended and I am having the same problem with my 2006 Club Car gas precedent and wanted to know how/if everyone got theirs fixed?
xman67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 10:59 PM   #17
azdave
Not Yet Wild

xman67 and others: Sorry for not following up on this issue. I changed the positive battery cable from 6 gauge to 4 gauge, but that didn't seem to help. I did not change the negative cable because there are about 4 of them all crimped together and there isn't much room to do this. However, I probably should go ahead and try to change the negative battery to starter to a 4 gauge also.
One weird thing happened, while I was fooling around with the engine I removed the carburetor and cleaned it up. After that the cart ran really fine for several months!!! This makes no sense, but it happened. Now when I play golf, the cart hesitates about 3-4 times over a period of 4 hours. Not too bad and when it does run it runs just fine.
Sorry I don't have any great news. If anything new develops, I'll post a little quicker.
AZDave
Old 03-01-2016, 11:57 PM   #18
azdave
Not Yet Wild

My 2006 Precedent has the same exact problem as everyone is describing. The engine cranks so slowly you can barely see it turn over, then after a few seconds it takes off and runs fine. I use it mostly for golf and it happens 4 or 5 times in about 4 hours.
I have changed the solenoid, starter generator, gcor unit, the positive battery cable (not the negative cable - yet). I tried to run a test with jumper cables to check the cable issue, but that didn't seem to tell me very much. So, what else can we do?
Old 10-24-2016, 02:42 PM   #19
xman67
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

I ended up getting my starter/generator rebuilt and that fixed it. I sold it after that

Quote:
Originally Posted by azdave View Post
My 2006 Precedent has the same exact problem as everyone is describing. The engine cranks so slowly you can barely see it turn over, then after a few seconds it takes off and runs fine. I use it mostly for golf and it happens 4 or 5 times in about 4 hours.
I have changed the solenoid, starter generator, gcor unit, the positive battery cable (not the negative cable - yet). I tried to run a test with jumper cables to check the cable issue, but that didn't seem to tell me very much. So, what else can we do?
xman67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 03:52 PM   #20
azdave
Not Yet Wild

If I ever get this thing running right I'll sell it too.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car