lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-05-2012, 10:28 PM   #1
coolbob
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Default installing light in 36 volts car

hi there !

i want to install some led light on my 36 volts club car ds. To get 12 volt out of two batterie should i put positive on the first battery and positive on the next battery ???? tried it and it works but how come there is no ground ??? does not seem to works any other way !!!!

thank.s

coolbob
coolbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-05-2012, 10:44 PM   #2
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

Default Re: installing light in 36 volts car

Do you have a digital multimeter?
gornoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 06:49 AM   #3
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by gornoman View Post
Do you have a digital multimeter?
as G asked do you have meter? if so find 2 batteries that give you 12 volts and run your pos wire to one and your neg wire to the other.....put an inline fuse in and also keep in mind depending on how much you draw from those 2 that they will get weaker before the other 4 and go bad sooner.................................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 01:10 PM   #4
Scott H.
Gone Wild

Club Car

If you put the positive wire from the lights on positive post of the first battery and the negative wire from the lights on the negative post of the second battery, you'll have the required 12 volts. Definately put a fuse and a switch in the light wiring!

Using only a couple of the L.E.D. lights in this configuration shouldn't cause much of a problem because they don't pull much voltage normally, but if you add any other style of lights, mutiple sets of L.E.D. lights, and / or a radio I HIGHLY recommend a whole pack voltage converter!

As Shadowman (and others on here) has stated, pulling too much voltage from part of the pack is not good for it and will cause the batteries to go bad sooner.

Using the whole pack to power your accessories causes an even drain across all the batteries and they will charge and run just like normal.

Hope this helps,
-Scott H.
Scott H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 08:23 AM   #5
coolbob
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowman View Post
as G asked do you have meter? if so find 2 batteries that give you 12 volts and run your pos wire to one and your neg wire to the other.....put an inline fuse in and also keep in mind depending on how much you draw from those 2 that they will get weaker before the other 4 and go bad sooner.................................
let say i install lights like a fog light how do i determine wich is the negative or positive wire or it does not matter ?????

coolbob
Old 07-07-2012, 08:27 AM   #6
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

your batteries will be marked pos with a + and neg with a - and yes it matters...............your pos wire has to go to pos on battery and your ground to neg on battery.............everything must be grounded to a battery not to frame or anywhere else........also make sure the 2 batteries you pick give you 12 volts no guessing you,ll blow light bulbs out.................................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 08:56 AM   #7
coolbob
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowman View Post
your batteries will be marked pos with a + and neg with a - and yes it matters...............your pos wire has to go to pos on battery and your ground to neg on battery.............everything must be grounded to a battery not to frame or anywhere else........also make sure the 2 batteries you pick give you 12 volts no guessing you,ll blow light bulbs out.................................
how do i determine the neg or pos wire ???
Old 07-07-2012, 08:59 AM   #8
puskers
Not Yet Wild

Question Re: installing light in 36 volts car

I also have been having problems with lighting, have also blown two new bulbs, and I do know a little about electricity. My question is, why would my tail lights stay on when I cut my headlights off. I have the positive tailight wire tied into the switch, so to solve problem I put an inline switch in the tailights, It works, but I still know something isn't right, and I was thinking about what was said about grounding to the frame. I wonder if I need to run all new color coded wire directly to battery from both sets of lights and one switch. Sounds like the thing to do. What do you think? I know, sounds like a stupid question.
puskers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 09:10 AM   #9
Fishing Dude
Gone Wild

Club Car

On the lights red would be pos, neg would be black. But really doesn't matter on lights
Fishing Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 09:14 AM   #10
delagem
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by puskers View Post
I also have been having problems with lighting, have also blown two new bulbs, and I do know a little about electricity. My question is, why would my tail lights stay on when I cut my headlights off. I have the positive tailight wire tied into the switch, so to solve problem I put an inline switch in the tailights, It works, but I still know something isn't right, and I was thinking about what was said about grounding to the frame. I wonder if I need to run all new color coded wire directly to battery from both sets of lights and one switch. Sounds like the thing to do. What do you think? I know, sounds like a stupid question.
You should start your own troubleshooting thread, instead of piggybacking on someone else's. It gets people confused on who has what problem.

That said, is your cart an 84 or 95? (you have it listed as those 2 years in your other thread). Is it a 36v or 48v cart? Are you running a voltage reducer?

I would guess that you've got a 48v cart and no voltage reducer, so you're running 16v thru your 12v tail lights, causing the lights to blow.

I would also guess that you've connected your taillights to the wrong side of the switch. A switch will have 12v constant power on one terminal, and switched 12v power on the other terminal.

Both are total wild guesses, but you're not giving us much to work with here!

Check with a multimeter to verify both of these issues.
delagem is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car