lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-12-2012, 06:27 PM   #1
EdWilliams
Not Yet Wild

Default G9 generator wiring

I have a project I'm building and I'm using a yamaha generator. So there is no wiring. Could someone explain how the generator starter works. So I can fig out how to wre.
Ed
EdWilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-12-2012, 07:29 PM   #2
bigstik40
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: G9 generator wiring

If you go to the stickies, there is a thread there that will send you to wiring diagrams for your cart. You should download them and copy them. Here's a description of how the starter/generator sytem works:
1. F2 is the starter field and is connected to battery plus +, through the heavy solenoid terminals, when the solenoid is energized. Current comes out of F2 when it's a generator and goes in when it's a starter.

2. A1 is the armature connection and is connected to battery minus -.
3.The Red and Green wires connect to the generator field. The red wire is energized @ +12v through the accel. switch and the key switch. The green wire goes to the voltage regulator. Grounding this green wire applies "full field" current for the generator and results in the maximum possible output of the generator (not a normal condition). The voltage regulator will ground and unground this green wire depending on battery voltage. The end result is a regulated voltage out of the generator to the battery (as long as the gas engine is spinning it).

Not sure what you are planning, but keep in mind that if the engine spinning the starter/generator happens to quit, the starter/generator will revert to being a motor. When this happens, current will come out of the battery into the starter/generator and it is now a starter. Hope this helps - RAY
bigstik40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 08:05 PM   #3
EdWilliams
Not Yet Wild

Does F2 do this on it's own. Example you put 12+ to F2 it turns as starter. When engine starts turning it outputs back to battery or is there another circuit energized.
This gernerator I have.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/290530517023...84.m1439.l2649
Old 07-12-2012, 08:45 PM   #4
EdWilliams
Not Yet Wild

Would this regulator work?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-ALTERNAT...1c4e14&vxp=mtr
Old 07-12-2012, 11:51 PM   #5
bigstik40
Gone Wild

Yamaha

The transition from starter to generator happens automatically, as long as the voltage regulator is working correctly. The voltage regulator is the circuit that makes it happen.

I can't comment on whether or not that E-Bay regulator you referenced would work, as I am not familiar with the circuit it is used in. I have, however, experimented with some automotive regulators and have found that a vintage regulator for Mopar cars works.

The regulator I used is an E-Tron #CH543 and it was fairly inexpensive on E-Bay. It also cross references to many other numbers & some are: Standard #VR125, KEM #KVR176A, Echlin #VR36/38, and various others. I have included a picture showing how to connect it. The black wire connects to the case (not shown). (I just soldered a wire to the case and connected it to the cart's black wire). I used the "socket" half of a plug and socket terminal set to make the other two connections. Use this information at your own risk as it is experimental !! I did determine that it does work but I did not use it for any length of time to determine if there were any problems over time. It is a regulator for automotive alternators. Hope this helps Good luck - RAY
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Voltage regulator.jpg (161.9 KB, 0 views)
Old 07-13-2012, 12:17 AM   #6
spriddle
Admin

Yamaha

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/gas-y...placement.html

spriddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 06:49 PM   #7
jackhandy
Not Yet Wild

Where do you put the black wire? I know it says the case but I'm confused on where this case is. Thanks!
jackhandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 07:23 PM   #8
bigstik40
Gone Wild

Yamaha

You just solder or connect a black wire to the case of the automotive regulator shown. Then that black wire connects to the black wire at the cart voltage regulator plug. If you are trying this, do not mount the auto regulator to any metal of the cart frame. It should be isolated/insulated. RAY
Old 06-02-2016, 07:37 PM   #9
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

The starter is made to run some low rpm, when you exceed that (the gas engine is running) it no longer will turn the engine because it does not spin that fast. So it is just along for the ride while the gas engine runs above 600 rpm or so. When you want it to charge (low batt voltage) your battery the VR will energize the field to make it charge. The VR looks at batt voltage and when its under around 13 it energizes to make the generator charge.....long as the engine is running above 600 rpm. However generators don't charge well at low rpm so you will not see much charge until maybe 2000 rpm and above, that is typical of generators and why cars moved to alternators which are much better at charging at lower rpm.

You also will need a 'constant duty' solenoid to run this constantly the whole time the engine is running. A solenoid for a car that is momentary will not work.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 10:41 PM   #10
jackhandy
Not Yet Wild

Thanks!
jackhandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha