lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-24-2012, 07:06 AM   #1
craighd
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default 1988 EZ-GO Carb cables

In the attached picture, there is a cable that has a black plastic s shape keeper.
What does this go to, and is it broke?
Also, Is the return spring on my throttle cable on the wrong side of the stop. Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg carb pic.JPG (417.2 KB, 0 views)
craighd is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-24-2012, 08:01 AM   #2
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 1988 EZ-GO Carb cables

The black S shape keeper cable goes to your oil pump. It is designed to provide more oil as the speed of the engine increases. It is also designed to fail safe in as much as if the cable snaps the pump will operate wide open. Many people do not trust the pump because if the pump itself fails the first sign will be the engine seizing and prefer to simply mix the gas oil at 128:1 and pour it into the tank. I cannot see from the photo if it is working or not but with the ignition off press down on the throttle and see if the lever on the pump moves.

The spring is on incorrectly (although it will work the way you have it). Normally it is right on the end of the cable between the throttle arm and the cable stop. You should compress the spring about 2/3 rds of its length and tighten the screw on the stop.

Dave
Dave Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 09:26 AM   #3
craighd
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thumbs up Re: 1988 EZ-GO Carb cables

Thanks Dave. You are very informative and a great help!!!

The oil injection has been disable, and I was told by the previous owner to mix 50:1. Is this to rich? Doesn't appear to be smoking alot, but I am getting a back fire?

I will move the spring to the proper location. Could this be a reason the I have a back fire of unburnt fuel when decelerating, that it is not closing the throttle arm all the way?

I appreciate your help, this is my first cart.
Old 07-24-2012, 10:14 AM   #4
Heliarc
Warthog cart

E-Z-GO

Yea, 50:1 is incredibly rich.I use 100:1 and even that is a little thick but I like to see a little smoke whenever I run a two stroke engine.

The spring would definitely cause the backfiring if it isn't set up right.
Heliarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 07:35 PM   #5
racin161
Gone Wild

Sorry to add the old oil pump is a DEATH WISH save some money now and remove it and mix your fuel as Dave indicated.

LOU
racin161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 08:52 AM   #6
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

Just to add a little to the points made by Heliarc and racin161.

128:1 is a good ratio as there are 128 ounces to the gallon so EZGO set you up nicely to add one ounce of oil to one gallon of fuel, easy huh? Heliarc runs at 100:1 and that is in no way going to hurt but 50:1 will. It will foul your plug and clog your muffler. At some stage (and if you are happy with the performance of your engine you can make it later rather than sooner) you could BBQ your muffler. This is simply a question of lighting a fire and placing the muffler on the top. After 30 minutes or so the collected oil residue will ignite and flames will shoot out of each end. Let it burn another half an hour and you are done, just shake the ash out and re-install. You will find that the burn will go much better if accompanied with your favorite beverage.

If you want to you can tidy up the engine compartment by removing the oil reservoir, the pump (which is just held on with two screws) and the cables. If you do so you will need to cap the oil line, that goes to the inlet manifold, to prevent air entering the engine. You can do this by removing the banjo bolt and replacing it with a 6mm short bolt or by simply cutting the oil line about and inch from the banjo and capping it with a screw of the right size.

Now let me drag out my soapbox. It is not good enough to simply pour gas and oil into your gas tank. You should add them in a separate container and shake vigorously to mix them. If you look into the bottom of most gas tanks you will see a nasty black sludge where the oil did not mix properly but just sank to the bottom.

Dave
Dave Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 09:31 AM   #7
craighd
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks all, 128:1 will be my mix..
Old 07-30-2012, 09:54 AM   #8
craighd
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: 1988 EZ-GO Carb cables - FIXED

Relocated the spring and it is running purfect now.. Again, Thanks for your help
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO