lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-22-2012, 03:01 PM   #1
jlhog
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Lack of Power & Hard Starting

I am in need of some help with my 1996 TXT 295 Robbins. There is a couple issues and they may or may not be connected. When it sits for a few days it cranks for quite a while before it will fire up. Also I seem to not have much power to get up hills with a load. At the campground where we run the cart if I have 4 people on it struggles to get up the hill other carts have no problems with. Half throttle or full throttle really make no difference. It will run about 20 mph on flat ground. If I remember correctly I have 22" tires on the cart also. I know that will cause some lose of power, but other carts here do the hill with no problem fully loaded. I have already changed/checked the following.
Sparks Plugs (new) (gap is correct)
28* Clutch (added)
Shorter Belt (tried-did not help)
New Carburator
Over Sized Jet
New/Open Air Filter
Compression Test (160 to 170 PSI Ea Cyl)
Fuel Pump (new two years ago)
All fuel Lines and Clamps Replaced
Checked Pick Up Tube in Fuel Tank (no blockage)
This may or may not be a symptom but sometimes it appears that there is no fuel in the filter. Other times it will be full. I am almost ready to try another fuel pump but feel like I am shooting in the dark here. Any suggestions ?
jlhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-22-2012, 05:57 PM   #2
kyerik
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Lack of Power & Hard Starting

If you pull out the choke halfway while it is hot, will it run better/ with more power? Or worse? This can tell you if the mixture is too lean or too rich.
kyerik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 07:10 AM   #3
RSP
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Hmmmmm, i was going to tell you to adj valves but you have good compression, Muffler pulgged?? run a coat hanger in and out of the exhaust pipe
RSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 11:12 AM   #4
jlhog
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Yep, the valves have been adjusted twice (just to be sure). Do the 4 stroke mufflers plug up like the two strokes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSP View Post
Hmmmmm, i was going to tell you to adj valves but you have good compression, Muffler pulgged?? run a coat hanger in and out of the exhaust pipe
Old 09-23-2012, 11:20 AM   #5
RSP
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Not ofter, but ive seen it happen
RSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 02:10 PM   #6
jlhog
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

OK, I will pull the muffler soon and check that. I did try closing the choke while driving the cart and it just wants to stall out. I did just check my tires and they are 22's for sure. Any other suggestions?
Old 09-23-2012, 05:26 PM   #7
kyerik
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

If choking it a little bit only makes the problem worse, then it may be running too rich. How do the plugs look? Black tips? If so, perhaps the oversize jet is simply too large. Does it ever blow black smoke? That would also be a sign of running too rich.

When engine run lean, they usually cut out and backfire a bit. When too rich, the engine will usually "chug/miss/chug" with low power and blow black smoke.

You might check your air filter housing for a mouse nest plugging it up.

To eliminate your fuel pump as the problem, you could buy a $20 outboard boat motor type primer bulb with 5/16 fittings on it and temporarily splice it into the 1/4" fuel line between the gas tank and the fuel pump (just work the 1/4" line over the 5/16" fittings- it will go with a little pressure)- a couple of squeezes of the primer bulb and it will have the carb full of fuel. If it runs good, then you'll know that the fuel pump/suction lines are at fault.
Old 09-23-2012, 05:59 PM   #8
jlhog
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Plugs are both nice and tan. No smoking from the exhaust. I installed the oversized jet with the new carb and it didnt make any difference. It runs the same as the old carb. It runs fine except for up a hill with a load. The air cleaner is not plugged as I installed the open air filter with the new carb.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyerik View Post
If choking it a little bit only makes the problem worse, then it may be running too rich. How do the plugs look? Black tips? If so, perhaps the oversize jet is simply too large. Does it ever blow black smoke? That would also be a sign of running too rich.

When engine run lean, they usually cut out and backfire a bit. When too rich, the engine will usually "chug/miss/chug" with low power and blow black smoke.

You might check your air filter housing for a mouse nest plugging it up.

To eliminate your fuel pump as the problem, you could buy a $20 outboard boat motor type primer bulb with 5/16 fittings on it and temporarily splice it into the 1/4" fuel line between the gas tank and the fuel pump (just work the 1/4" line over the 5/16" fittings- it will go with a little pressure)- a couple of squeezes of the primer bulb and it will have the carb full of fuel. If it runs good, then you'll know that the fuel pump/suction lines are at fault.
Old 09-23-2012, 09:14 PM   #9
kyerik
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

So - other than the starting issue- the engine sounds good (no sputtering) it just doesn't have as much power as it used to?

If you have ATV type tires, low pressure can greatly increase rolling resistance.

You might also jack up the rear end and make sure a brake isn't dragging.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO