lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-26-2013, 08:32 AM   #1
bokeasmowl
friends call me Boke

Yamaha

Default F&R problem

I have a 97 DCS Ezgo, 36v with an alltrax dcx controller. I just got this cart in a trade for another cart I had.
Yesterday was the first time I tried to drive it. Backed out of the barn no problem, switched to forward cart took off. After about 100 foot the cart started slowing down by itself and then came to a short stop, stuttered a couple times and then stated going in reverse while the selector was in forward. I switched the selector back and forth a few times and it went forward again for a short distance and did the same thing again...slowed itself to a stop, stuttered a few times and went in reverse again.

The guy I got it from traveled from West Virginia in constant rain to where we met in Virginia. Not sure if all the moisture had something to do with this. I did this trade so that I can get my wife a cart to ride since I'll be getting a gas cart in May. Hopefully this can be figured out soon so I don't have to listen to so many "I told you so's".

Thanks folks, Boke.
bokeasmowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-26-2013, 08:37 AM   #2
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

Default Re: F&R problem

Try a leaf blower on the F/R disc looking assembly just inside the battery bay. There are micro switches in there that don't like moisture. Also may want to try a hair dryer on low heat. If you can't hold your hand in front of it, its too hot.
gornoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 08:50 AM   #3
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

With a DCS cart, the direction of current flow in the field windings is switched inside the controller.
The controller is told which way to feed the field winding by the voltage on Pin-4 (Both stock and DCX controllers) and that is the only difference outside the controller, so a wet or bad microswitch could do what you are describing.

In fact, anything that will put B+, or any positive voltage, on Pin-4 (Orange wire), could do it.

Added: When driving forward, both Pin-3 and Pin-5 have B+ on the, so the problem might be a wet plug on top of the controller.

Last edited by JohnnieB; 03-26-2013 at 08:53 AM.. Reason: added thought
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 08:52 AM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Disconnect the forward and reverse ms one at a time and thoroughly dry them out with 'I told you so's' hair dryer. do the same for every plug in at the controller. I assume you have already done this for the ITS as we discussed.... I hope water didn't get in and ruined the control.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 09:23 AM   #5
bokeasmowl
friends call me Boke

Yamaha

I sprayed the ms's on the f&r unit with wd-40 and it ran maybe 1000 feet before it slowed itself to a stop and went into reverse.

Also on top of the controller where the multi wire pigtail plugs into the controller, there is an accumulation of dust against the plug that water must have drug down to it. Is it possible that water has seeped into the controller at that pigtail?
Old 03-26-2013, 09:34 AM   #6
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

yes, are you drying everything out with a hairdryer or just spraying WD?
Old 03-26-2013, 09:45 AM   #7
bokeasmowl
friends call me Boke

Yamaha

I just got out of court. I'll get at it with a hairdryer when I get home. I sprayed it with wd yesterday.
Old 03-26-2013, 10:54 AM   #8
stewmagoo
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Well I was on the other end of the trade and somewhat same effects occurred with my "new" cart. Chris and I both drove through pouring rain, and my end sleet and freezing rain. We both had great running carts prior to the exchange. My weather is bad in WV right now so I can only do some tests in my garage. I pulled the mat and removed the ITS cover and there was moisture. I took a hair dryer and dried up the moisture. I examined all battery terminals all of the termainals an lugs on the motor. Checked all the connections on yee Alltrax controller. All is well. Press throttle get the four green lights and hear a click and most of the time no go. So I thought about disconnecting the postive cable on drivers side closest to the seat for like 30 seconds. Reconnected and now seems to move forward and backwards (for the whole 3 ft I can test it lol). I do notice that it seems to have to be at full throttle to react. Any thoughts for me as well. I would appreciate it as well.
stewmagoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 10:57 AM   #9
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Jack a wheel off the floor for testing, it's safer. Dry everything out again and again.
Old 03-26-2013, 01:03 PM   #10
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

boke, that Alltrax is sealed so I doubt any water got in it. You may however have some on the connections. If you have an air gun blow it all dry/connectors and mswitches and see what happens. You could also disconnect the wire going to the reverse micro and see if it functions correctly in fwd. If yes, I would think you issue is there..
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO