lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-27-2013, 08:23 PM   #1
cheapjeep2
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Obc bypass for solenoid, check me on this

I have a 2003 DS IQ with an Alltrax and a heavy duty solenoid. Te cart is intermittently not running. When it happens there is no solenoid click. I have verified the MCOR is good by ohming it out according to the service manual. I get power to the controller, and both small terminals of the solenoid have voltage when the pedal is depressed. I am starting to suspect the obc. I believe to check this I need to jump the negative side of the solenoid to the negative side of the pack when the cart is acting up to bypass the solenoid activation circuit from the obc, correct?
cheapjeep2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-28-2013, 08:21 AM   #2
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Default Re: Obc bypass for solenoid, check me on this

No. Unplug the six pin connector and jump the Red wire to the Blue wire on the car harness side. This will allow the car to run without an OBC
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 08:36 AM   #3
cheapjeep2
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by TahoeDawgZ71 View Post
No. Unplug the six pin connector and jump the Red wire to the Blue wire on the car harness side. This will allow the car to run without an OBC
So if for some reason the OBC is preventing the solenoid from activating I do this jumper and it takes the OBC out of the question allowing the solenoid to work ok. If still not working then my bet is a bad solenoid.
Old 03-28-2013, 09:30 AM   #4
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheapjeep2 View Post
So if for some reason the OBC is preventing the solenoid from activating I do this jumper and it takes the OBC out of the question allowing the solenoid to work ok. If still not working then my bet is a bad solenoid.
Possibly. Check for voltage at the Blue and Blue/White wire when trying to engage. If it's powering up and the solenoid doesn't click then yes, bad solenoid.
Old 03-28-2013, 09:36 AM   #5
cheapjeep2
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by TahoeDawgZ71 View Post
Possibly. Check for voltage at the Blue and Blue/White wire when trying to engage. If it's powering up and the solenoid doesn't click then yes, bad solenoid.
Yea I have check for power at the blue and white wire so it is getting power... Kinda hard to troubleshoot as it is so intermittent.

Will the OBC's charging function still work ok if the red and blue are shorted together? And with the wires jumped together can the hardness be plugged back in to the OBC? I know it would not lock out the solenoid since we bypassed it but wasn't sure if the charging would still function as normal.
Old 03-28-2013, 10:29 AM   #6
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheapjeep2 View Post
Yea I have check for power at the blue and white wire so it is getting power... Kinda hard to troubleshoot as it is so intermittent.

Will the OBC's charging function still work ok if the red and blue are shorted together? And with the wires jumped together can the hardness be plugged back in to the OBC? I know it would not lock out the solenoid since we bypassed it but wasn't sure if the charging would still function as normal.
Dont do that. It won't work. That red wire is the main power feed going into the OBC. Without it, it won't power up.
Old 04-14-2016, 07:26 AM   #7
rpidelt
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Old thread I know but related question. I've been searching on the proper way to bypass my OBC. I bought a DPI charger and no longer want the OBC functional. I've been told jumper the red and blue wire and I also see posts that say jumper the blue and white wire. Still can't figure out which it is. Cart is 2003 Club Car Pathway.
rpidelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 09:54 AM   #8
Lakebit
Gone Wild

Club Car

Have you read the sticky on bypassing the OBC on IQ/Excell CC's posted above ?
Lakebit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 10:20 AM   #9
rpidelt
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakebit View Post
Have you read the sticky on bypassing the OBC on IQ/Excell CC's posted above ?
Yes several times and I don't see a mention of jumpering the red and blue wire. It mentions a red/white wire which in my world means a red wire with a white trace. I have a red wire without a trace. It also mentions a red wire but not what you should splice it to. In that sticky it mentions several times to jumper blue and white. I've searched and found 2 references including this thread where it mentions splicing red and blue. Since I do have all 3 colors I'm trying to understand the difference between splicing the blue and red or splicing the blue and white.
rpidelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 10:25 AM   #10
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

The OBC by-pass sticky includes information for several models and drive systems, that is why You see reference to different wire colors.

If You have an IQ controller, jumping the Blue wire to the White wire is the preferred method.

The difference is that the Red wire is hot all the time and the white wire is only hot when the Tow/Run switch is set to Run.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car