lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-11-2013, 04:03 PM   #1
Texas001
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Jerky start

My brother in law has a 2003 EZGO gas that has a real neck snap when taking off. the clutch seems to be open wider than normal when at rest and the belt sloppy loose. When you gas it the clutch snaps over and grabs the belt for a jerk then takes off okay. Where should he start? Should the clutch slam on the belt like that or is the belt just too loose? Thanks guys.
Texas001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-11-2013, 04:27 PM   #2
1989Marathon
Gone Wild

Default Re: Jerky start

The belt should be 1-3/16" wide. The clutch opens just enough so it doesn't grab the belt. It's likely that someone installed a stiffer spring in the clutch. That will give it a higher engagement speed and leads to jerky takeoffs.
1989Marathon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 07:07 PM   #3
Texas001
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks 1989Marathon. We are off to buy a stock spring. But taking the one in the cart with us to compare. Appreciate your advice.
Old 06-11-2013, 07:12 PM   #4
1989Marathon
Gone Wild

Please let us know how it turns out.
Old 06-12-2013, 12:41 PM   #5
Texas001
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

The belt on the cart was a full 1/4 inch narrower than EZGO specs. Change to new belt and seems to work well but still not as smooth as mine. But maybe with a little belt wear it won't grab as much and become completely smooth take off. About 75% better than it was. Thanks Marathon.
Old 06-14-2013, 10:09 AM   #6
Texas001
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

After I got back home and compared my cart to his, I see that my clutch moves over to grip the belt in a very smooth motion. His, on the other hand, seems to slam against the belt. I would say his hits the belt in at a speed twice as fast as mine does. So even after the new belt he still has the problem of a jerky start but considerably less than with the narrower old belt. The old belt gave the clutch 1/4 more distance to slam the belt. I have the stock spring in my cart but have a stiffer spring I bought to use with the key start and idle modification. Would a stiffer spring keep the clutch from slamming the belt as hard as it does now? I am a complete idiot when it comes to the workings of the clutch. No wise cracks!
Old 06-14-2013, 05:29 PM   #7
1989Marathon
Gone Wild

Look at post #2. A stiffer spring will do just the opposite.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO