lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-15-2013, 09:36 AM   #1
golf cart man
Gone Unrestrained

Mixed Breed

Default 1988 club car...a little scared

Hi all, I picked up a new cart yesterday. It is a 1987 club car. It was from an elderly woman in a country club community. Her husband used to use it but since passing away the car hasn't been used very much. New batteries installed 18 months ago. The cart was last charged a few weeks ago. I brought it home and put it on a charge around 6:00pm. This morning I woke up around 5:00am and it was still charging. It has a lestronic automatic charger which hums much louder than the charger I have for my 99 club car. Since I don't know the cart or charger yet, I opened the seat at 5:00am and I felt it was a little heat around the batteries so I pulled out the charger thinking maybe the automatic shutoff was not working properly? Could I be wrong? Any thing I should test? Could i over charge the batteries with an automatic charger? Water in all batteries is good. Sorry for the long post. Any insight would be great. Thanks!
golf cart man is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-15-2013, 11:40 AM   #2
crash test dummy

Default Re: 1988 club car...a little scared

sometimes with low batteries it can take 24hrs to get to full charge
test full pack... 38.2v on a 36v system is full charge (test after batteries rest 12hr)
then check each battery all should be around 6.3v
if there is big difference you my have a bad battery
make sure all batteries are filled and cables are tight
see chart for info

good reading ---> http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...batteries.html
Old 06-15-2013, 11:11 PM   #3
golf cart man
Gone Unrestrained

Mixed Breed

thank you very much for the reply. I will test each battery and the pack tomorrow and report back. thanks again
Old 06-16-2013, 09:08 AM   #4
golf cart man
Gone Unrestrained

Mixed Breed

Good morning, I was home all day yesterday so I put the cart back on the charer and checked on it every so often. After about 3 hours it shut off automatically. I waited until today and I tested each battery and here is what I got... 6.39,6.41, 6.27, 6.23, 6.41, 6.42. Total pack at 38.13 Volts Does it sound like everything is okay with the batteries and charger? Thank you again
Old 06-16-2013, 09:25 AM   #5
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Look at the chart above in this post. You are just right for full charge.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 09:50 AM   #6
Speedchaser
Gone Wild

Sometimes when you have one or two bats low the charger will stay on longer to get the pack to full charge which over cooks the good bats and that is what I am suspecting here. Is it possible you are running lights off those two low bats?

If you have a 6 volt battery charger you could see if the two low bats will take a full charge and if not might warrant replacement.
Speedchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 10:13 AM   #7
golf cart man
Gone Unrestrained

Mixed Breed

the cart is a club car like I said but it actually is a royal ride. (the rolls royce looking cart). It does have a lot of accessories. fans, lights, horn, radio, turn signals, windshield wiper, etc. I have had a chance to look over the cart a little and from what I can see, most if not all of the accessories are wired to the two batteries with the highest voltage. The two batteries with the lowest readings in the pack don't have anything extra connected to them. A little strange? Also, if anyone has a suggestion for this....I am going to take the cart apart for paint, would you suggest going through the cart and rewiring most of it because it is an older cart? Also replacing all the solenoids, microswitches, etc? Thank you all again
Old 06-16-2013, 10:14 AM   #8
golf cart man
Gone Unrestrained

Mixed Breed

i'll be posting a pic of the cart in the members section
Old 06-16-2013, 10:42 AM   #9
Scott H.
Gone Wild

Club Car

You either need a full pack voltage reducer or a separate battery for the accessories. Honestly, I would go with the second battery and add a fuse block for the accessories.

-Scott H.
Scott H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 01:07 PM   #10
jakesnake27
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott H. View Post
You either need a full pack voltage reducer or a separate battery for the accessories.
I totally agree.
jakesnake27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car