lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-20-2013, 06:12 PM   #1
cpotter
Not Yet Wild

Default wont charge

I have an 80s ezgo and i cant get it to charge. I grounded out wire from voltage regulator and still only puts out 10 volts. i took generator and voltage reg off and took to automotive electric shop and had both tested and they told me they were both good. had battery tested and it tests good also. i still bought new starter charger and put it on and it still only puts out 10 volts. what else could it be??
cpotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-20-2013, 08:29 PM   #2
frodrummer
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: wont charge

I'd start by checking all of the grounds. Or do a parasitic draw test. How old is the battery?
frodrummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 08:51 PM   #3
cpotter
Not Yet Wild

What do u mean parasitic draw test? I have checked all wires like three times even did a resistence test on all of them. i took the battery out of my daily driver truck and tried it with that one and same thing. only other thing that went through my head was how does the charger ground? Does it ground through bolts? Its only bolted on by two bolts and bracket towards top of head is gone.
Old 06-20-2013, 10:46 PM   #4
frodrummer
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

The parasitic draw test is usually done in vehicles with a fuse panel, but the process is still the same. With multimeter on the batt, unhook each electrical item drawing power from the batt (one at a time) until you see the voltage increase. Then you'll have a possible culprit. However, if the starter/gen isn't producing sufficient charge, this method may not help much. If your regulator is good, and batt has been ruled out, you may need to look toward your wiring a fourth time.

Lastly, if your starter/gen is only held on by two bolts, belt slippage might be another possibility.
frodrummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 07:19 AM   #5
WJ ezgo
Not Yet Wild

... also, I could be mistaken here, but have you checked to see if the voltage regular is adjusted properly? I believe you can adjust the voltage on some of them by turning the screw on the back after opening the cover...
WJ ezgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 08:02 AM   #6
cpotter
Not Yet Wild

Yah tried adjusting it. but then i unhooked it and grounded it out which should make it put full out put and only 10 volts
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO