lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-25-2013, 03:07 PM   #1
Golfdog
Gone Wild

Default Voltage Boost for a Series Cart

I have a faithful 2000 DS 48v Series cart that I upgraded to a reversing contactor fwd/rev from the manual lever. She is a typical series, slow and dependable, and I would like to give her a bit of a boost. Short of upgrading the whole system (excluding the motor)to say 60v or putting in a 36v motor, is it possible to connect a 12v battery via a separate solenoid directly to the motor and when I want the extra I just press a button. Sounds too simple to work.
Golfdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-25-2013, 03:40 PM   #2
jakesnake27
Gone Wild

Default Re: Voltage Boost for a Series Cart

You can't just add voltage and make a cart faster. You must supply more amperage to the motor with a bigger controller. Also, a high speed motor will get you more speed. But simply throwing a 12v in to make it 60v will just burn up the motor, controller, solenoid, etc
jakesnake27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 04:11 PM   #3
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

Install a 36v motor and hold on. It doesn't get any easier than that.
gornoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 04:09 AM   #4
sportcoupe
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by gornoman View Post
Install a 36v motor and hold on. It doesn't get any easier than that.
Agreed but unless you buy new it's hard to find a used 36v cc motor. Looking for two myself....
sportcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 10:58 AM   #5
lowvolts
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfdog View Post
I have a faithful 2000 DS 48v Series cart that I upgraded to a reversing contactor fwd/rev from the manual lever. She is a typical series, slow and dependable, and I would like to give her a bit of a boost. Short of upgrading the whole system (excluding the motor)to say 60v or putting in a 36v motor, is it possible to connect a 12v battery via a separate solenoid directly to the motor and when I want the extra I just press a button. Sounds too simple to work.
Sure you could add a like battery and solenoid setup it would defiantly give you more speed. you would need to charge separately, the cost of solenoids and battery are almost the cost of new motor.
lowvolts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 12:24 PM   #6
lowvolts
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowvolts View Post
Sure you could add a like battery and solenoid setup it would defiantly give you more speed. you would need to charge separately, the cost of solenoids and battery are almost the cost of new motor.
EXAMPLE:
Take out one battery from the pack and what would happen? the cart would go slower!

also I was thinking of adding a battery after the controller unless the controller can handle higher voltage.
lowvolts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 02:10 PM   #7
Golfdog
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakesnake27 View Post
You can't just add voltage and make a cart faster. You must supply more amperage to the motor with a bigger controller. Also, a high speed motor will get you more speed. But simply throwing a 12v in to make it 60v will just burn up the motor, controller, solenoid, etc
I am not sure that I totally agree, to add speed to a Series motor you need to add voltage, amperage will only give you more torque. A 36v series motor runs without problems in a 48v series cart. The major issue is whether introducing the additional voltage after the controller will have any detrimental effect on the controller itself.
Golfdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car