lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-10-2013, 01:39 PM   #1
sftull
Not Yet Wild

Question What to do??

I was given an '84 model CC that doesn't have any batteries in it. It needs some work to make it look good but if I were to add batteries it will run. Below are my thoughts.. Also...I don't have alot of extra money to spend on it now, so I don't want to make the wrong decision.

1 - Purchase 3 12v deep cycle batteries just to get it going. Our farm is a flat 40 acres and our neighborhood is small. Go this route for now just to get it going. Then purchase 3 more when money allows and wire them in parallel.

2 - Purchase 3 12v deep cycle batteries, clean the cart up really good and sell it to purchase a newer 48v.

3 - Purchase 6 6v batteries and have the correct batteries but still have all of the old electronics.

4 - Purchase 6 8v batteries, all new electronics, use the 36v motor, spend alot of money and still have an '84 cc.

Alot of post about being displeased with the 12v batteries in their carts but I think it all depends on what you are looking to do with it. The most I would ride it would be maybe 2 miles a day and they would be alot.

I'm open to other options.
sftull is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-10-2013, 02:26 PM   #2
CartTrader
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: What to do??

Personally I would buy the 6-6v batteries and be happy. the 12v marine batteries may or may not last the day. If they do they won't last long before just wearing out. You would not be able to get 6 12v in the battery bay. 12v's are going to be wasted money!! The old 84 CCs are good old carts for what you want to do.

CartTrader
CartTrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 02:44 PM   #3
beau
Gone Wild
Club Car

4 - Purchase 6 8v batteries, all new electronics, use the 36v motor, spend alot of money and still have an '84 cc.

But it will be a modern classic!
beau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 02:48 PM   #4
sftull
Not Yet Wild

Thanks CartTrader. Not having cores is throwing a kink in my budget. The cores are almost as high as the batteries.
sftull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 02:55 PM   #5
beau
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by sftull View Post
Thanks CartTrader. Not having cores is throwing a kink in my budget. The cores are almost as high as the batteries.
That does ad a whole hell of a lot. I found a solar dealer that was quite a bit cheaper on price than my local CC dealer. I went from 180ea to 138. Shop around.
beau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 03:17 PM   #6
CartTrader
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by sftull View Post
I can understand the cores being so much!! You might try going to some car garages and see if they would sell or give some of their core batteries. They might work for cores .... core batteries are core batteries.... Especially if you go to Sams or Wally World. Yea I know some people are going to say, stay away from them for batteries, but I have had good luck with them. Just take proper care of them. I had a set of Sams batteries last 7 yrs!!

CartTrader
CartTrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 04:46 PM   #7
sunoco
STEALTH 4X4

Club Car

how much of a core charge are they trying to charge you. Its about 15-20 per battery here
sunoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 05:17 PM   #8
jdunmyer
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

I'm with the "keep it stock" crowd, based on your described usage. You'll be much happier with the 6-volt batteries than 12-volt'ers, IMO. I agree with C.T. about Sam's Club batteries, I got 7 years out of a set and they were still going strong when I sold the cart.

Do perform a full P.M. on the cart, pack the front wheel bearings, change rear end lube, check/adjust brakes, and go over every single electrical connection, especially the high-current ones. Replace any cables that have bad ends on them, especially if they get hot when you're riding the cart.
jdunmyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 07:49 PM   #9
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

There is a lot of lead in golf cart batteries and it's easily reclaimed. That is why the cores are worth so much.
Volt_Ampere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 08:26 PM   #10
scotter
Gone Wild

Club Car

What jdunmyer said. And just enjoy the old girl!
scotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car