lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-11-2013, 10:48 PM   #1
koolkar
Not Yet Wild

Default i can't figure it.

i recently bought an old ez go 2 stroke robyn engine that was supposed to be for parts. after disassembling and cleaning the carb, tossing what looked like maple syrup out of the gas tank, replacing the fuel lines and making a new steel line to replace the rusted gas line, new spark plug and battery, i got it going.

the thing is, it runs REAL SLOW and won't pick up speed until i move the reverse/forward switch to near the middle, and then runs sorta ok. at that position, it doesn't charge the battery.

so, new switch maybe? solenoids? i dunno. i have an old 3 wheel donor cart that has a not so good engine but the electrical stuff looks good.

any ideas?
koolkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-12-2013, 06:59 PM   #2
aintgotthis
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: i can't figure it.

Make sure the throttle can go to wide open. The governor cable might be holding it closed.
aintgotthis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 10:10 PM   #3
koolkar
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by aintgotthis View Post
Make sure the throttle can go to wide open. The governor cable might be holding it closed.
throttle goes full on. governor disconnected with a spring to replace the governor. i figure something electrical, but i dunno.
Old 07-13-2013, 10:03 AM   #4
1989Marathon
Gone Wild

Make sure all wiring between the starter/generator and the switch and the battery is correct. Does the starter/gen get warm really quick?
1989Marathon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 11:55 PM   #5
1fast67
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Also check all your grounds. The older carts are notorious for bad grounds.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2
1fast67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 12:09 PM   #6
koolkar
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1989Marathon View Post
Make sure all wiring between the starter/generator and the switch and the battery is correct. Does the starter/gen get warm really quick?
yeah it does. hot as a matter of fact.

will clean all the grounds i can find tonight.
Old 07-14-2013, 12:11 PM   #7
1989Marathon
Gone Wild

What year is the cart? Do you have a wiring diagram? When you put the fwd/rev selector to the left, does the motor run forward, and reverse when it is to the right?
1989Marathon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 05:35 PM   #8
koolkar
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1989Marathon View Post
What year is the cart? Do you have a wiring diagram? When you put the fwd/rev selector to the left, does the motor run forward, and reverse when it is to the right?
not sure of the year. fwd/rev works as labeled. it's been too hot to mess with it much, but intend to clean the grounds tonight as that seems logical. sorta like something finding a ground when it can't go where it normally go. there's some butchered wiring i need to trace and run correctly. also intend to strip the 3 wheeler this week and sent it to the scrap yard. hate to, but it eats up too much room in the garage. i'll post the serial number later so maybe one of you guys who know much more about this thing than i do can tell me a year. i'm guessing late 80's. engine sits sideways in the frame and is painted red.
Old 07-15-2013, 10:34 PM   #9
koolkar
Not Yet Wild

serial number is 396410. cleaned the frame ground connections, tightened battery cables, tightened connections at the switch. same issue. i should have added the engine knocks and jerks when the selector switch is close to neutral and has more power. it doesn't do this when it's running in the normal position.

weird, ain't it?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO