lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-24-2013, 11:15 AM   #1
lyleho
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default Sparkless in Superior

My Golf cart was acting up like it would only run for about 4 holes the quit and when in cooled down it would run again???

Had the Ignition Coil replaced in My Yamaha G16 1996 Golf cart..wallhaaa it ran great for about 180 holes(10 days) then It quit and won't start even when cold.

I checked the Spark with a "Spark Checker" NO Spark???

Where do I begin???

Thank You... I'll appreciate any and all help!
lyleho is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-24-2013, 11:16 AM   #2
lyleho
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: Sparkless in Superior

My Golf cart was acting up like it would only run for about 4 holes the quit and when in cooled down it would run again???

Had the Ignition Coil replaced in My Yamaha G16 1996 Golf cart..wallhaaa it ran great for about 180 holes(10 days) then It quit and won't start even when cold.

I checked the Spark with a "Spark Checker" NO Spark???

Where do I begin???

Thank You... I'll appreciate any and all help!
Old 08-24-2013, 06:57 PM   #3
BBailey
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

I had a similar experience on my G9. My cart would run for a while and quit too until she cooled down. Then, she wouldn't start at all. I replaced the coil, she ran a little while and then quit again. Bought another coil, this time a OEM, the cart ran for about once around the block and it died again. Replaced the ignitor and she's running better than ever before. I did buy a after market ignitor, I hope it lasts, just couldn't pony up the expense for the OEM.

Good Luck
BBailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 08:30 AM   #4
lyleho
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Thank You for your input..I'm a total newbe at this..Where is the ignitor..I replaced the ignition coil?? are they 2 different things? and where are thsy ;located..Thanks Again
Old 08-25-2013, 12:07 PM   #5
whiteriver23
Gone Wild

Yamaha

BBailey,
Could you tell us where you got the igniter? I'm thinking mine could be going bad! The only igniters I can find are around three big ones.
Thanks
JP
whiteriver23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 02:41 PM   #6
BBailey
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

On the G16, the Ignitor is part of the Ignition coil assembly.

I would check first to make sure all you electrical connections check OK for continuity, voltage, are clean and tight.

Here is one from a site sponsor
http://www.golfcartking.com/Ignition...G22-p/5135.htm
BBailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 08:58 AM   #7
bigstik40
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyleho View Post
Thank You for your input..I'm a total newbe at this..Where is the ignitor..I replaced the ignition coil?? are they 2 different things? and where are thsy ;located..Thanks Again
If your cart is a G16, the ignition coil is all you will have in the "spark producing" section of your cart (has no seperate ignitor). A couple things you can check are:
1. Make sure the air gap between the flywheel and the ignition coil is not excessive. The thickness of a 3 x5 index card is pretty good to check the air gap. Actually, you can loosen the coil, insert the index card between coil and flywheel at the magnets, press the coil slightly into the flywheel magnets, then tighten.
2.You could also check the stop relay by unplugging it then check for spark. You should have spark with it unplugged. If you do have spark with relay unplugged, check the wiring connections to the relay before you replace it. The blue wire from the coil gets grounded by the relay to kill spark.

Hope this helps - RAY

Last edited by bigstik40; 08-27-2013 at 09:01 AM.. Reason: clarified
bigstik40 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
yamaha 1996 g16
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha