lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-03-2013, 09:51 PM   #1
larry69fatboy
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default two batteries in a gas cart

has anyone done this, I need some info? I keep draining my battery, I have a radio w/ 2 speaker & sub and F&R lights in my EZGO TXT.
larry69fatboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-03-2013, 10:50 PM   #2
redcloud
Gone Wild

Default Re: two batteries in a gas cart

Others have asked this as I recall. the starter/gen on carts are not a heavy charging unit and harm will come to them if asked to much of.
redcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 06:32 AM   #3
pachanga90
I Refuse To Get Stuck!!!

E-Z-GO

Dual-Batteries will ease the load on the starter/gen.since the draw on it will drop due to more storage and reserve capacity from dual batteries.Deep-Cycles add more benefits,since they can be drawn down lower and more often without damage.Make sure they are a matched set of batteries(same make,model,and purchase-time)The biggest killer in dual-setups is mismatched batteries,they end up discharging each other,etc...Hope this helps.
pachanga90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 06:54 AM   #4
Pitbull Joe
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Good info Mike. When I was into audio competitions, people always asked why their batteries drained so much and my first question was "are the batteries identical?" I'm thinking of running 2 batteries when I start my next build, it's just finding a place for the second one.
Pitbull Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 11:04 AM   #5
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Also run class D or H amps on your stereo they are much more efficient, or minimum on the sub amp. Yamaha put out 15A charge at higher rpm only, I think other carts are similar far as generators. Can also run a ported sub its more efficient far as power used, larger drivers will be more efficient as will most lower power drivers. You can isolate the battery for sound, or just to power the amplifiers.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 04:54 PM   #6
pachanga90
I Refuse To Get Stuck!!!

E-Z-GO

Big Capacitors help too!!
Old 09-07-2013, 05:22 PM   #7
Wylie_Tunes
Getting Wild

Larry,

Im guessing this is a single battery and its the carts primary cranking battery? Tell me more about the audio setup. Amp make/model, head-unit or other means as your source unit, etc. What size battery is in there currently? Is the battery going dead when you are using the audio when the cart is off or is it going dead while the engine is running?

Although 2 batteries wired in parallel will double your engine-off amp hours, its can and will still be a potential heavy load on the engines charging system.
Wylie_Tunes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 07:50 PM   #8
pachanga90
I Refuse To Get Stuck!!!

E-Z-GO

I ran dual batteries in my plow trucks(70's-early 80s' Chevys',no electronics on the trucks) for years with decent stereo-systems(multiple amps) as well,and ran a 37amp alternator,Never had any issues.With the single battery,it would draw like crazy.As stated,good,matched,large cca,high reserve batteries are the key thing.
Old 09-08-2013, 01:37 PM   #9
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

A lot of people put a 2nd battery in a cart if they put a sub in, they take power. No sub you can get away without unless you play it a long time.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 07:54 PM   #10
Jerj7907
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Just pitching an idea out there but what about 2 6 volt batteries wired in a series to get 12 volts. Would have a great amount of stored power. I would probably just hook it up to 12 volt car charger after heavy use to help the generator recharge the batteries. Just hook in series and positive to negative and hook the other 2 terminals normal. Just make sure you hook battery charger to positive on 1 battery and negative on the other. I'm sure you know what I mean.
Jerj7907 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO