lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-08-2014, 04:37 PM   #1
rfincher86
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Choke will not stay open!

So I have been having problems with my cart running for a while and then not starting after stopping. I have figured out that every time it happens I've noticed that my choke has slipped on the cable and closed causing the cart to flood out. I have tightened the ever loving s**t out of the screw holding the cable in place but always finds a way to slip out. I really do not want to use lock tight on this screw, anyone have any other ideas?
rfincher86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-08-2014, 05:56 PM   #2
ldj1002
Getting Wild

Default Re: Choke will not stay open!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfincher86 View Post
So I have been having problems with my cart running for a while and then not starting after stopping. I have figured out that every time it happens I've noticed that my choke has slipped on the cable and closed causing the cart to flood out. I have tightened the ever loving s**t out of the screw holding the cable in place but always finds a way to slip out. I really do not want to use lock tight on this screw, anyone have any other ideas?

Hummm, I'm just the opposite, My choke won't stay closed. When I first got the cart I was gona to fix that but decided that was a good thing. Won't forget to open it. When it is really cold I have to hold the choke closed for only a few seconds before it will run without it. When not very cold I can let it open almost immediately and it will run good. I'm gona leave it that way.
ldj1002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 07:18 PM   #3
Morgan44
Gone Wild

fincher, that doesn't sound right, what you are explaining. The stock carb should have a spring that always keeps the choke open. You got a pic of your carb where the cables connect?
Morgan44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 07:36 PM   #4
rfincher86
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

The spring on mine keeps the choke closed, I'm not saying it is correct but it has been that way since i bought it. The first picture is the cables connected with choke open. The second picture is with choke cable disconnected and choke sprung closed. The third picture is the choke butterfly valve.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0408141923.jpg (187.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 0408141923b.jpg (191.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 0408141924a.jpg (76.3 KB, 0 views)
Old 04-08-2014, 07:58 PM   #5
Morgan44
Gone Wild

I think that may be an 87 carb. You sure on your year of cart?
Old 04-08-2014, 08:43 PM   #6
rfincher86
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

I looked up my serial number on the ezgo website and it said it was an 88 marathon.
Old 04-08-2014, 09:19 PM   #7
Morgan44
Gone Wild

I know it's not an 88 carb. Any chance the previous owner changed it?
Old 04-08-2014, 09:40 PM   #8
rfincher86
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Yea, it is definitely a possibility. I didn't know the guy at all or anything about the carts history. Maybe the body was swapped at some point? Is there any other way to identify the year besides the serial number on the dash? It's there a serial number somewhere else on the cart?
Old 04-08-2014, 09:44 PM   #9
Morgan44
Gone Wild

There is a sticker on the motor shroud kind of under the starter, if it's still there.
Either way, it's not that the carb won't work, you just need to get some info on an 87 set up. You may have to get a little creative on the cables to make it work correctly. It definitely looks like the previous owner did some major rigging on that carb and cable connections.
Old 04-09-2014, 02:22 AM   #10
racin161
Gone Wild

That's not the correct choke cable!!! I 'll bet if you replace it with the proper cable everything will be good STILL running the oil injection Just my $.02

LOU
racin161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO