lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-29-2014, 01:19 PM   #1
MidlandEZGO
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Marathon 2PG Throttle adjustment

Hi All,

I have manged to acquire a 1985 Marathon with a 2 cycle 2PG motor in it. I don't know a lot about this unit except that I do know the engine has been rebuilt and there is probably not a governor on it. It really flies. Anyways the throttle is very sensitive meaning it is very hard to maintain a slow speed in both forward and reverse. How can I adjust this so that I can maintain a constant slow speed?

Thanks!

Mike
MidlandEZGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-29-2014, 04:49 PM   #2
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Marathon 2PG Throttle adjustment

The throttle plate is opened by a spring that is wrapped around the throttle shaft on the carburetor. It is spring loaded open, and is held closed by the throttle cable until you step on the pedal.

There is a spring on the pedal that pulls it back up, and pulls the throttle closed.

Your throttle cable should slide freely through a hole in the throttle lever. You can check that by holding the lever closed with your hand, and pressing on the pedal.

Does your throttle operate the way I have described? If not, it is connected wrong.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg closed throttle.jpg (208.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg open throttle.jpg (263.3 KB, 0 views)
cart around is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 04:17 PM   #3
MidlandEZGO
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Ah! There is no spring. There is a stop nut on both sides of the throttle arm. Thanks for the help!

Mike
MidlandEZGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 11:51 AM   #4
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

Here. http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/gas-e...djustment.html

Getting rid of the governor will take you from 12mph to around 18 mph.

The carb should be spring loaded wide open on its own when nothing is connected.
Old 05-05-2018, 05:01 PM   #5
roncoinc
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by cart around View Post
Here. http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/gas-e...djustment.html

Getting rid of the governor will take you from 12mph to around 18 mph.

The carb should be spring loaded wide open on its own when nothing is connected.
I followed another set of your instructions i found,thank you :)
roncoinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 07:52 AM   #6
sbklf
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by cart around View Post
The throttle plate is opened by a spring that is wrapped around the throttle shaft on the carburetor. It is spring loaded open, and is held closed by the throttle cable until you step on the pedal.

There is a spring on the pedal that pulls it back up, and pulls the throttle closed.

Your throttle cable should slide freely through a hole in the throttle lever. You can check that by holding the lever closed with your hand, and pressing on the pedal.

Does your throttle operate the way I have described? If not, it is connected wrong.
Very familiar with, understand and know the importance of the throttle/ignition switch coordination, have the spring (I found pen springs to be too weak for my carb) and am pretty sure it is adjusted properly but will certainly check it again thanks for the reminder. What about the timing? I am pretty sure that is correct also but will retard or advance it slightly more than the spec calls for to make sure it is not the cause, looking for an opinion on which way to go.
sbklf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 05:55 PM   #7
pthomps1
Not Yet Wild

HELP! Carb seems to be flooding out. Took the carb off 3 times - tried adjusting the float, the pilot air screw and put new filters and gas line on it. Checked plugs - getting plenty of even spark. Turned the pilot screw all the way in and the gas continued to flow (too much gas - not enough air?) What can I do to improve air/gas mixture?
pthomps1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 07:39 PM   #8
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

Check your fuel pump for a ripped lower diaphragm. http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/gas-e...fuel-pump.html
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO