lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-29-2014, 10:50 PM   #1
Golfswithbeer
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Default Radio shuts off when volume loud & gas pressed

Ok, first off I am new and apologize for doing anything wrong. I have a G22 gas with an overhead radio console from Custom cart audio. It has 2 kickers and worked fine. So... To add volume I bought 2 100 watt outdoor speakers as rears. When I turn it up loud, it works however... When I push the gas pedal to start the engine, the radio shuts off and quickly "reboots", which is annoying when partying! Anyway, my battery (400CCA) seems to test fine (both with a voltmeter and at local Autozone). Would a new , more powerful battery stop the radio from cutting out? Do I need a 2nd battery just for the radio? Would a marine battery be better? Any help is MUCH appreciated
Golfswithbeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-30-2014, 06:51 AM   #2
teecro
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Radio shuts off when volume loud & gas pressed

Sounds like the radio is seeing the voltage drop below a specific set point and it shutting itself off in a self-protective mode and "rebooting" as you say once the voltage returns to normal... If loud music is that important then you may need a battery for just the radio. Another thought is where does the radio get it's power from, cart wiring harness or straight from the battery?
teecro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 07:01 AM   #3
pachanga90
I Refuse To Get Stuck!!!

E-Z-GO

Make sure the radio is wired to the battery,and a capacitor inline would help prevent voltage drop at the radio,especially if it has an amp.
pachanga90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 07:03 AM   #4
pachanga90
I Refuse To Get Stuck!!!

E-Z-GO

Make sure the radio is wired to the battery,and a capacitor inline would help prevent voltage drop at the radio,especially if it has an amp.A marine Deep-Cycle would be best if you use the radio alot when parked,a separate battery for the radio with an isolator would be even better,that way you wont kill the cart-battery.
pachanga90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 08:59 AM   #5
Golfswithbeer
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

It is wired directly to the battery. I have no amps, simply an overhead console with a Sony that draws 20-25 RMS and 40-50 max. The speakers are the standard size in the console (5 1/4 I think) and the rear are 100 watt outdoor speakers from Home Depot. Loudness is VERY important to me and my golf team... Helps us win tourneys. I don't mind doing a second battery if nec but I was hoping to just replace the main battery with a better one so
I don't have to figure where to put a 2nd or how to charge it. I read some stories about 1 battery in a system hurting the other???
Old 06-30-2014, 09:13 AM   #6
teecro
Gone Wild

Club Car

What is your voltage dropping to at the moment your radio cuts out or starting the cart? It could very well be that while your battery still has enough @$$ to start the motor the voltage is dropping enough to effect your radio; it may soon leave you stranded....
Old 06-30-2014, 09:19 AM   #7
Golfswithbeer
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

I tested the volts with a voltmeter while cranking the stereo & pressing the gas pedal. It was dropping around 7... give or take a volt. BUT... we had been listening to it parked for a while at my house so it could have been low. I also hooked a battery charger to it and put it on 50 amp setting (jumpstart) and cranked the radio and it still rebooted the radio.
Old 06-30-2014, 09:33 AM   #8
teecro
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfswithbeer View Post
I tested the volts with a voltmeter while cranking the stereo & pressing the gas pedal. It was dropping around 7... give or take a volt. BUT... we had been listening to it parked for a while at my house so it could have been low. I also hooked a battery charger to it and put it on 50 amp setting (jumpstart) and cranked the radio and it still rebooted the radio.
7 volts is way too low for the voltage to drop to during cranking.... Has the stereo always dropped off or is this something resent? Simply adding a couple speakers is not causing this. Sounds to me like your battery is going to pot; you should be able to listen to a simple stereo play for HOURS on end without dropping your voltage so low. Another thought is perhaps your starter is also drawing to much juice for one reason or another....
Old 06-30-2014, 09:38 AM   #9
Golfswithbeer
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

I have always been able to crank the overhead console as loud as I wanted and the cart starts fine everytime. However... now when I added 2 more rear speakers and crank all 4, the cart does not want to turn over. I can unhook the 2 rear speakers, play it loud and everything is fine. It's just when the rears are plugged in and it is cranked that I have the problem.
Old 06-30-2014, 10:19 AM   #10
Spudgunman
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

My first suggestion and question is what guage wire are you running to the stereo? My assumption is it's to small to provide proper power.

I noticed that someone on here has ohms law on his signature. This matters for electric carts and loud stereos.

The 7v drop that your reading where are you reading that on the battery terminal or the wires for the stereo?

Where is your stereo ground coming from?

Also I would hope that you put a deep cycle into this otherwise your gonna have issues some day.
Spudgunman is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha