lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-06-2014, 09:22 PM   #11
MudHog
South LA Coonass
Yamaha

Default Re: Plowman's Performance Kit install help

Don got ahold of me and as of this evening I/we have the cart up and running. My throttle cable was severely out of adjustment. Got that straightened and got taught listening for difference between starter/generator and engine idling. Got the govenor bypassed and the valves are lashed per Don. Ended the night there and will do some more test runs tomorrow. Noticable difference in torque and since the valves were lashed, noticable difference in responsiveness. Now it's put hours on it and let everything break in.

Oh, and Don spent most of the evening with me at a very high dollar cellular rate, so many thanks to Don!!!!!!

P.S. I also do not want people reading this thread as a Plowman's problem. The kit clearly states to call Don once everything was installed. Being the weekend, I was just trying to see if anyone who had already installed the kit, could have provided some details. Don handled everything flawlessly and I cannot thank him enough.

Last edited by MudHog; 07-06-2014 at 09:36 PM.. Reason: to add P.S.
MudHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-07-2014, 06:03 AM   #12
rheller
Not Yet Wild

That's awesome
rheller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 07:02 AM   #13
duramax
Gone Wild

that's cool mabey theirs hope for my problem. I just cant figure it out myself & just been havin trouble hookin up with don when I have time.
duramax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 10:24 AM   #14
MudHog
South LA Coonass
Yamaha

I did (6) 1/4 test runs yesterday on 87 octane fuel. First pass was 22.3 mph and 6th pass was 25.0 mph. I didn't have any benchmark, but I wasn't looking for speed with this cart. I got some 93 octane per Don's recommendation and noticed the engine ran smoother just driving it in the yard. Also did a compression check and the engine only has 130 psig compression, so it's wore out and I will never see full performance. It did pull my 4000 lbs 19ft bay boat in the yard and backed it into the shop like I was shooting for with the kit.

Time to start saving for an engine rebuild.
MudHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 10:32 AM   #15
robertakamagoo
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Mine been running fine. On my 4th tank of gas I will have to try higher octane next fill up.
robertakamagoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 06:45 PM   #16
Dflowe
Getting Wild

Yamaha

In addition to premium gas, you may want to try ethanol free. A place close to me started sell ethanol free premium a year or so ago and I've been using it ever since. My carts are both running the best they ever have.
Dflowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 09:13 PM   #17
PcolaKB
Not Yet Wild

I got the kit for my 2009 with 3" lift and 22s. Learned a few lessons and I'll share to maybe help someone else. Went from about 17mph and sluggish to 27mph flat and 29 down a slight hill with awesome pulling power. Runs like a champ. Still need to call Don to check the valves I guess.
-I'm an amateur contortionist now because I refused to take off the rear seat and body to do any of my clutch and governor mods.
-Maybe it was my clutch but had to unbolt the suspension and jack it to the point I was afraid of stretching cables to get the primary clutch bolt to clear the frame.
-Tried to do the gov mod without removing it and caught the nylon bushing in the drill bit and smoked it. Then took it off and trashed the bushing trying to get it back on. Decided to scrap the Gov and hook the cables together. I determined I was having a backfire from a bad short throttle cable so I changed it. Started lurching and still backfired. Runs like a banshee wide open!
-Ruined another set of nylon bushings. Took the starter off and had more visibility and could actually use both hands! FYI the governor spring will not work upside down.
-Did you know there is a small bushing in the spring? Found it on the floor by some chance and was able to put it back in the re-assembly. Learned to attach the spring to gov then put tension on it and hook around the cable.
-Got it all hooked back up. No backfire. No lurching. I can now tailgate cars in the neighborhood and get lots of puzzled looks as I zoom by.
I'm just too hard headed to call Don and stay on the phone for an hour. I figured it out by myself and had a ball doing it.
PcolaKB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 10:21 PM   #18
jeff70
Gone Wild
Yamaha

what does Don do different with the Valves??
jeff70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 10:35 PM   #19
dbmachine
Gone Wild

Nothing with the valves. He just makes sure they are at proper setting so you get the best possible performance with the kit. If the valves get just a little bit off can make a difference. Even brand new carts sometimes have the valves out of spec and after a few high speeds runs you might notice the top speed dropping if valves clearance is off.
dbmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 10:37 PM   #20
dbmachine
Gone Wild

Agreed with pcola the back seat is a bitch to work around while making the governor mods. Takes alot of effort and swearing none the less.
dbmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha