lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-06-2014, 09:41 AM   #1
panteramatt
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default proper way to eliminate governor?

Talked to DOn after ordering my performance kit for the g16. I have my governor bypassed by connecting the throttle cable directly to the carb. He told me thats not the right way. It seems fine to me and I threw out the little cable so I cant hook it back up anyway. I do notibe the butterfly doesnt open all the way but its close. Is there truly a better way and am I hurting performance at all?
panteramatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-06-2014, 10:27 AM   #2
dbmachine
Gone Wild

Default Re: proper way to eliminate governor?

There are 2 ways that are most common. Not sure which is the better way to go. The way you did it is one and the other is to drill out the oval shaped hole on top of the governor arm. Some take it to anothet level and remove the internals of the governor inside the transaxle but im not nearly that mechanically inclined.
dbmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 11:06 AM   #3
Dflowe
Getting Wild

Yamaha

I would take Don's advice if I were you. I did the same thing you did and I was having issues with throttle modulation and jerkiness when I took off. I put everything back like it was supposed to be and drilled out the center of the governor arm per Don's instructions, and all has been good since. That way, you can still tighten the governor arm down and use it again if you ever decide you want to.

I don't know how much speed you want, but mine you run about 32/33 (GPS) & ungoverned and I found it to be too fast. My lifted cart was twitchy at that speed and with brakes only on the rear axle, I didn't think it was safe. I ended up zip-tying the governor, and it will run 24/25 with that and I'm happy.
Dflowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 03:04 PM   #4
panteramatt
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Yea it wold hit 25 on a stretch but now hits 24.
Old 07-06-2014, 07:24 PM   #5
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

You need to make a bracket on the carb and get it in right place/angle to get all the travel. One issue is you need to have the pedal move and start it with gen start, before the carb opens. My G9 got about 30MPH gps on pavement just screaming with no governor. Some say remove it from trans if you don't use it as if it breaks it can grenade the trans. Most don't and very few have any issues with them. But its easier to drill the hole and add a spring to the arm on trans, that works well and no adjusting really. A G9 there seems to be no difference between 75 and 100% throttle opening, I tested with gps.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 12:44 PM   #6
Tinken
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Another option is just to replace the oem governor spring with a stronger one. There are no holes to drill and you still have full adjustment of your governor. CPP sells the spring and replacement bushings if needed.
Tinken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 03:04 PM   #7
Dave in VA
maintaining a low profile

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinken View Post
Another option is just to replace the oem governor spring with a stronger one. There are no holes to drill and you still have full adjustment of your governor. CPP sells the spring and replacement bushings if needed.
I don't think you will see near the same results--speed spring vs gov arm mod. When the arm is drilled it becomes a pivot point and basically "eliminates" the gov shaft/fork. I've read that the speed spring puts much more pressure on the gov arm.
Dave in VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 11:07 AM   #8
panteramatt
Gone Wild
Yamaha

After looking at it to hook it back up i cant remember how it goes. So my question is do i really have to? Am i missing any performance? It starts and runs fine now. Also if you drill the hole and loosen the bolt so it spins on the shaft what keeps the governor bracket from slipping right off?
Old 07-11-2014, 03:25 PM   #9
Dave in VA
maintaining a low profile

Yamaha

I think the cables being attached has something to do with it not slipping off. If this was a problem, I'm sure someone would have spoken up about it by now. Just guessing...
Dave in VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 07:48 AM   #10
PcolaKB
Not Yet Wild

I hooked the cables together for a couple of days because it seems too simple not to try. The problem I had was that the cables didn't have enough slack to let the throttle close and have a smooth takeoff. I considered rigging up an extension between the cables but put the gov back on drilled out instead. Runs great now. Between the part diagram and googling images of "yamaha drive governor" you can figure out the reassembly. It will only work one way. There is a small sleeve about 1/4" long that fits inside spring loop around the pin on the gov end of the pedal cable that is real easy to lose on disassembly. The mechanic at my local dealer told me about it and I found it on my garage floor.
PcolaKB is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha