lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-06-2014, 03:12 PM   #1
buggynovice12
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Replacement engine for old ezgo

Im looking for a four stroke engine to drop in an old EZGO that Im working on and Im not sure what would be the best engine to put in it. I was thinking maybe a Harbor Freight engine, the 420cc. Can anyone tell me maybe a better deal or a more popular and easier engine to use?

I have an old two stroke in it right now but Im looking for more low end power because its going to be a hunting buggy. Any comments or advice is welcome and appreciated!
buggynovice12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-06-2014, 04:04 PM   #2
ldj1002
Getting Wild

Default Re: Replacement engine for old ezgo

Whacha gona do about reverse?
ldj1002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 04:22 PM   #3
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

A 2 stroke snowmobile type engine may work.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 10:09 AM   #4
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

^What LDJ said^ ... The 2-stroke EZGO's actually run backwards in reverse, if You swap out to a standard single-direction motor You'll also have to swap out the rear end to a 1993-up style which has forward and reverse built in (which depending on the rear end also means fabbing up some mounts possibly) ... Scotty has a point, some older snowmobile engines run backwards if set up that way so with some engineering, anything is possible ...

That said, the old 2-3PG 2-strokes can actually be improved upon fairly easily, going to a 1" shorter belt will add a considerable amount to your low end "oomph" as well as improve takeoff. A good-running 2-stroke with a shorter belt will outpull and out-accelerate a stock 4-stroke, as well as have a much better top-end speed (generally in the low 20's with 22" tires)
BrewCityMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 01:07 AM   #5
buggynovice12
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Sorry for the late reply guys i started a summer school class and have not had time to even think about this project!

These are all good points and i have experimented with a few of them already. I put a 399 Rotax from an old TNT snowmobile in it a few months back and I'm having tons of problems with the carburetor so my thought was to just start over with a newer four stroke. If a shorter belt can improve on torque then maybe thats the cheapest direction to go.

The reverse may end up being a luxury that i don't need just yet but if it is possible it would be nice! *BrewCity* is there any way to set up a 399 Rotax to run backwards? I don't know much about the F/R turning engine process.

Also, a new axle might be in the budget if it is going to be an easier process haha
Old 08-04-2014, 08:08 AM   #6
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

Not sure about the 399 Rotax, but there was a thread here a few years back RE a Fuji version of the 2PG that was used in another application and put out almost 19hp stock, PLUS ran just fine in reverse as set up in the Marathon carts (If I remember, the crank needed some machining to adapt the stock drive clutch but other than that it was a direct 1/2hr drop-in) ... Dive in and do some searching, I have a ton to get done this AM but when I get some time later I'll see if I can't dig up the thread for You

Edit: I'm *pretty sure* it was for an ultralight aircraft or something wacky like that, I remember the guy who located one and did the thread spent a pretty good penny on the motor but it ended up being a pretty serious (like high 30's/low 40's) cart when all was said and done
BrewCityMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 10:25 AM   #7
buggynovice12
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks I would appreciate that! This Rotax has the ability to preform amazingly but it sure seems a little twitchy. I got it for free so if I could get it to run reverse and have the desired torque, then it may be worth the effort after all.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO