lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-08-2014, 07:29 PM   #1
HHP123
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default G9 cam, crank, counter balance alignment

I replaced the rings and crankshaft seals on my 1991 G9 and according to my book there should be a mark on the crankshaft to align with the hole in the cam wheel which worked out fine. It also shows "marks" to align the crankshaft counter balance, but the crankshaft has only what looks like two barely discernible hand made figures on two of the teeth.

The cam lines up fine with the crank but when I next turn the crank marks to align with the counter balance, the counter balance jams. If I eyeball the counter balance to align with the crank, it works fine but the marks on the crank are about 30 degrees away from the mark on the counter balance.

Sorry, I don't have pictures but those hand made marks are really hard to see. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to deal with this?

The engine is all assembled and the cam timing is fine for TDC and rotates smoothly, so I am considering to go ahead and install it, and try running it.
HHP123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-09-2014, 08:33 AM   #2
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Default Re: G9 cam, crank, counter balance alignment

Yes, you need to back off the crank alittle to get the balance in correctly.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P9290298.jpg (129.5 KB, 0 views)
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 09:33 PM   #3
HHP123
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Thanks Smallblock,
I see the two small white dots on the crankshaft gear in your picture, were they there from the factory or did you add them?

The small marks on mine look like they were added with one of those vibrating electric scribe tools. Be that as it may they do not line up as the dots depicted in your picture. They are approximately thirty degrees above the counter balance punch mark when the camshaft gear is aligned with the crankshaft.

As I noted in my previous post, the engine turns freely by hand and the valve openings are as described in the manual when it is at TDC. In a day or so I'll let you know if it a) it works fine, b) vibrates like mad, or c) it blew up.
HHP123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2024, 05:42 AM   #4
peter196358
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHP123 View Post
Thanks Smallblock,
I see the two small white dots on the crankshaft gear in your picture, were they there from the factory or did you add them?

The small marks on mine look like they were added with one of those vibrating electric scribe tools. Be that as it may they do not line up as the dots depicted in your picture. They are approximately thirty degrees above the counter balance punch mark when the camshaft gear is aligned with the crankshaft.

As I noted in my previous post, the engine turns freely by hand and the valve openings are as described in the manual when it is at TDC. In a day or so I'll let you know if it a) it works fine, b) vibrates like mad, or c) it blew up.
if old mate s sent in the right alignment picture then all u need to do is count 11 teeth of the small cog from the dot or 13 teeth on the large cog from where the cog s intermesh. just look at the picture pick a spot to count from and just work it out from there cheers
peter196358 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
crankshart alignment
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha