lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-16-2014, 11:21 AM   #1
Skattracker2
Not Yet Wild

Default 89 EZGO misses at start up and slow speeds

I have the bug and just purchased my 2nd cart. It is an 89 EZGO but has a
2PG engine stock in it.

It had not been used much recently and it had old gas in it. It ran, but missed a lot and puffed out blue smoke. I drove it around a little with some new gas and it got a little better, but then died and would not start. After cleaning the carb and checking fuel flow and spark which was all good, I noticed fuel leaking between muffler and lead in pipe. I removed the pipe from the block and about 2 cups of fuel came out. I put in a new plug and it started, but still misses. I disconnected muffler and no real change.

Compression is 110 psi and holds so not great but should run. I took it for a long drive and noticed it has good power on hills and runs great when under load but starts to miss and puff blue smoke when just cruising. It seems like it is getting too much fuel.

I will clean carb again, but is there any carb adjustment for fuel flow/mix?

What else could be my issue? I did check the little plastic film in fuel pump and did not see any cracks also.
Skattracker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-16-2014, 05:24 PM   #2
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 89 EZGO misses at start up and slow speeds

Fuel can only come from two places, the carburetor, or a ripped diaphragm in the fuel pump. Since you have checked both diaphragms in the pump, it has to be coming from the carburetor.

A sticking float would be my guess. Give it another good cleaning, and run some Sea Foam through it.

EDIT: Wait a minute. You said the little plastic film in the pump. Did you pull it apart, and check the lower one too? A ripped lower diaphragm is what lets fuel into the engine block.
cart around is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 07:54 AM   #3
Skattracker2
Not Yet Wild

You were right. It was the fuel pump. I have an extra engine and it happened to have a fuel pump on it. I had no clue if it was any good or not.

I put it on and problem solved. Cart runs great.

Thanks.
Skattracker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 10:11 PM   #4
DebbiePoluck
Not Yet Wild

89 EZ Go Gas Golf Cart - over heating, very little exhaust coming out, getting hot & smoking. Will not run after it gets hot. It has to cool down before it will go, but has plenty of power. Any suggestions?
DebbiePoluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 11:29 PM   #5
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

I think this is one of the few occasions that the exhaust is really plugged. Take off the exhaust, check out the pipe, and then read up on a muffler BBQ.

Gas should only be mixed 128:1. That's one ounce of oil per gallon of gas.

There is also tin work around the cylinder fins that could be clogged with mud.
cart around is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO