lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts > Gas Harley Davidson

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-03-2015, 11:55 AM   #1
hovenad
Not Yet Wild
Harley Davidson

Default HD cart Plastic gas tank specs?

I picked up a '78 HD cart and it was missing the original gas tank. It had a small 1 gallon weed eater tank loosely rigged in its spot. I know these tanks are hard to find, but I wanted to know the dimensions of the tank so I can try to find something close that will fit. There are several plastics companies that have aftermarket fuel tanks and I like to find something that will fit. I don't have my cart with me (it is at a friends house outside of town). I think the dimensions for the compartment are close to 20" x 10" x 8", but I was hoping someone would measure there tank so I know the exact specs of an original tank. Thanks for the help.
hovenad is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-03-2015, 12:32 PM   #2
Kplhdryder
Gone Wild
Harley Davidson

Default Re: HD cart Plastic gas tank specs?

Looks like there is a plastic tank on flebay should work for your application checkout the link no bids on it yet. $25.00 right now.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HARLEY-DAVID...2a9844&vxp=mtr

Good Luck

Kplhdryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 12:48 PM   #3
hovenad
Not Yet Wild
Harley Davidson

Thanks for the post. I checked out the link. That is a rough looking tank, kind of skeptical to believe it isn't cracked. I found a tank that might work at US Plastics. The link is http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/fil...0%20111814.pdf

I will keep watching this for a little while. Thanks.
Old 02-03-2015, 03:13 PM   #4
Kplhdryder
Gone Wild
Harley Davidson

They do list others now and then, that are new aftermarket tanks, I just didn't see any listed, you my want to check while your watching that one. If as the seller said that it doesn't have any cracks or holes you should be good with that tank, if you get it for a fair price. Good Luck.
Kplhdryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 05:38 PM   #5
Lochlin
Gone Wild

I actually have my tank out of one of my carts right now. I measured it for you. With the curved edges it's tough to get an "exact" measurement but I think I have this to within 1/2 inch:

Wide = 21 1/2 inches (side of cart to other side of cart measurement)

Length = 10 inches (front of cart to back of cart measurement)

Height = 11 inches (bottom of cart towards top of cart measurement)

Filler spout = 12 inches (where the gas cap attaches to the tank. Measured from the bottom of the tank to the top of the spout)

That US Plastics tank looks a bit smaller but it would fit. I think your problem is going to be the placement of the filler spout. It looks to be about 3 inches off center whereas the HD one has dead center placement. You may have to Mickey Mouse something to get around that issue.
Lochlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 02:43 PM   #6
hovenad
Not Yet Wild
Harley Davidson

Thank you so much for the measurements. The US plastics might work because the width is around 18" and I can just shift the tank over enough to get it to center up. I'm looking into another source right now for a tank from Golf Cart Care Discounted Parts. I ordered several parts from him via the internet, then called him about a tank since it wasn't listed on the webpage. He is suppose to get back with me today and give me a price. Either way, the measurements you gave me help me take the next step. Thanks again.
Old 02-04-2015, 03:17 PM   #7
hovenad
Not Yet Wild
Harley Davidson

Looks like this other one from US Plastics will work perfectly. Please let me know if anyone disagrees. http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/fil...8%20103114.pdf
Old 02-04-2015, 04:19 PM   #8
Lochlin
Gone Wild

That's spot on. If you dont mind me asking, how much is that tank? Those can be tough to come by and when you can find them they can be pricey for a good one. You may have come across a good find there.
Lochlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 11:03 AM   #9
hovenad
Not Yet Wild
Harley Davidson

The clear tank is $67.84 plus s&h. The black tank is around $73.00 plus s&h. I just ordered the clear tank and shipping and handling was $33.00 to CA.
Old 02-05-2015, 11:15 AM   #10
hovenad
Not Yet Wild
Harley Davidson

Shipping cost dropped when I ordered the gas cap as well. Total price out the door for tank and cap including shipping was less than $89.00. Can't beat that! Thanks again for your help with the measurements.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts > Gas Harley Davidson