lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-29-2015, 11:45 AM   #1
Pumper
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default G22 Overcharging

Cart is overcharging 17-18 volts at the battery.

The voltage on the red/white wire on the DF connection to the generator which is also connected to the voltage regulator and gets its voltage from the battery through the key switch and throttle switch is 2 to 2.5 volts lower than battery voltage. The battery voltage during full charging at high throttle runs 17- 18 volts.

Doesn't the voltage regulator use the voltage on the red/white wire as reference? Would this not make the VR think it is not charging enough and allow the battery volts to go higher?

I think the master relay requires about 100mA to hold it in. If the key switch and throttle switch over the years have created some resistance like 20 ohms this would give a 2 volt drop on the red/white wire.

I am just looking for discussion since everything else on the cart has been checked or replaced and I am still getting an overcharge.
Pumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-29-2015, 06:32 PM   #2
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Default Re: G22 Overcharging

Are you using a deep cycle battery?
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 07:00 PM   #3
Pumper
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

No, it is a group 24 car battery.
Old 04-29-2015, 07:39 PM   #4
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

18v is too much (even for a yamaha, which charges kinda "hot"). V regulator is about all it can be, if wiring is good. Get it fixed before the battery is fried.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 08:26 PM   #5
bigstik40
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumper View Post
Cart is overcharging 17-18 volts at the battery.

The voltage on the red/white wire on the DF connection to the generator which is also connected to the voltage regulator and gets its voltage from the battery through the key switch and throttle switch is 2 to 2.5 volts lower than battery voltage. The battery voltage during full charging at high throttle runs 17- 18 volts.

Doesn't the voltage regulator use the voltage on the red/white wire as reference? Would this not make the VR think it is not charging enough and allow the battery volts to go higher?

I think the master relay requires about 100mA to hold it in. If the key switch and throttle switch over the years have created some resistance like 20 ohms this would give a 2 volt drop on the red/white wire.

I am just looking for discussion since everything else on the cart has been checked or replaced and I am still getting an overcharge.
I concur with cgtech on bad VR. Just to give you a little more information that you asked for on this; the voltage regulator works by grounding/then ungrounding the green wire at a fairly high rate. The VR internal circuitry will try to hold the battery voltage between 14.5 and 15.5 volts at elevated RPM (by alternately grounding and ungrounding the green wire). It looks like your VR may have the green wire permanently grounded internally, pulling quite a bit of current through the r/w wire. That high current through the r/w may be the reason for the voltage drop you are seeing. Your starter generator is effectively running with "full field" and maximum output all the time. You will cook your battery. Hope this helps - RAY

Last edited by bigstik40; 04-29-2015 at 08:29 PM.. Reason: correction
bigstik40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 09:01 PM   #6
Pumper
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

I agree normally that the Voltage Regulator would be the culprit but I have tried three different Voltage Regulators all with the same result. One of them came off a cart that was producing the proper volts.

I have checked the green wire for a short to ground and find none.

The battery voltage the voltage regulator sees has to go through the key switch and throttle switch. The master relay coil has 21 ohms resistance which pulls 0.6 amps at 12.7 volts so if the key switch or throttle switch has 4 ohms resistance that's 2.4 voltage drop so the voltage regulator thinks the battery is not charged. So 15.5 volts on the red/white wire would produce 17.9 volts at the battery.

I don't know if that is my problem but I am going to look there. Tomorrow I will use a jumper from the battery directly to the red/white wire after I get the RPMs up. If I am correct that should reduce the voltage at the battery. Then I will have to see which switch is the problem.
Old 04-29-2015, 10:16 PM   #7
bigstik40
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Sounds like something goofy going on. Lets us know how the direct connection to bat + changes things. Don't overlook bad/corroded terminal and connector crimps. Also wouldn't hurt to make sure the 10 amp gnd to bat. neg. fuse is ok and connections there are solid. Bad grounds can sometimes cause mysterious symptoms. Good luck - RAY
Old 04-30-2015, 09:08 AM   #8
Pumper
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

My suspicions are confirmed.

I induced battery volts directly to the red/white wire ran the RPMs high and the charging volts never got above 15 volts.

My next step is to find where the resistance is, key switch, throttle switch or wire from battery to key switch etc.

Before testing I removed the drive belt, when you bypass the key and throttle switch the engine tries to start and will. I don't trust just putting it in neutral afraid all that vibration might kick it into gear and at high engine RPM that would not be good.
Old 04-30-2015, 05:15 PM   #9
bigstik40
Gone Wild

Yamaha

That's good information, but bad news for you. The accel. switch is underneath and it and its terminals could be subject to getting cruddy. Good luck on finding the culprit. Keep us posted. That was a good catch on removing the drive belt as things could get dangerous. - RAY
Old 04-30-2015, 06:06 PM   #10
Pumper
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

I am quite sure I have isolated it to the key switch.

The throttle switch had 0.3 ohms resistance and never changed when pushing the pedal several times. Also the wire connector for the switch is of the sealed type and one of the better ones I have seen.

The key switch resistance varied every time I turned the key on-off-on. The resistance varied from 4 ohms to 26 ohms.

I will get a new switch tomorrow and replace the old one.

Tags
generator, starter generator
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha