lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts > Gas Harley Davidson

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-10-2022, 10:30 AM   #1
kblhdryder
Not Yet Wild

Default Running sluggish, possibly forward & Reverse switch?

Hello all,

I'm still trying to figure out the trouble with my 1974 three wheel cart. I can get it running in reverse but forward its very sluggish. Could it be the floor mount forward reverse switch? when I flip the switch to reverse, it slides in smoothly, but into forward its a bit difficult, then I have to pull it back a half inch to get it to engage. Cart still runs sluggish though. Is the continuity connection coming from the switch a possible issue with the way it runs in forward? I've tried trouble shooting most everything else from muffler to points, plug, and compression, clutch, and these all seem to be fine.
Any help would be appreciated
kblhdryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-10-2022, 11:20 AM   #2
Lochlin
Gone Wild

Default Re: Running sluggish, possibly forward & Reverse switch?

Logically, the switch only impacts the flow of the current. That your cart runs in reverse at all one somewhat indicates that it is doing what is supposed to do.

I know that these carts need to be timed in both forward and reverse. Are you confident that timing for reverse is good?
Lochlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2022, 08:35 AM   #3
kblhdryder
Not Yet Wild

Good Morning Lochlin,
I have re-set the timing more times then I care to remember, Newer plug, New points great compression. Fires right up in reverse , but in forward, its a no go. I will go over the timing once again. I do know there is a problem with this switch though. Having to put it into forward then having to pull it back a little to in gauge the switch, and this is new sense last summer. Also when looking at the diagrams in the manual, My switch is the opposite of what it shows in the manual. its been like that sense I've owned the cart, 2011. I have never removed the switch even when I re painted the cart. Is it possible the switch was re-installed upside-down? Not sure if it was it would make a difference anyway. Very frustrating.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Switch diagram.pdf (31.4 KB, 0 views)
kblhdryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2022, 12:00 PM   #4
Lochlin
Gone Wild

A simple test would be to simply reverse the wiring at the switch so that F would be reverse and R would be forward. If your cart now goes great in forward and bad in reverse then you know you have a wiring issue. If things stay to same, though, then you know the issue is somewhere else.

It's tough to wrap my head around. I am under the impression that, for the most part, once one of these carts gets running in either direction the only the charging system remains in play wiring-wise.
Lochlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts > Gas Harley Davidson