lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Closed Thread

Old 04-04-2008, 06:20 PM   #11
Bob-0
Gone Wild

Default Re: 2008 EZGO ST Sport

Don't take this the wrong way either....

By Adjusting the govenor, you void the warranty. That holds true for any E-Z-GO. So, if someone complained that a car was going too fast (just for the sake of conversation ) Then someone from a place like where I work gets sent out to look at it. If a dealer adjusted the govenor, and I need to replace some other unrelated component, it will be at the customers expense.

Dealers VOID the warranty every time they adjust the governors beyond factory specs (speeds).

Dealers also HONOR the warranty... some try to be surreptitious .... and those are the ones that can cause problems

The truth of the matter is that as long as I've been working for my parents (3yrs) I have actually heard E-Z-GO call and ask to investigate a warranty claim. Other than a few isolated incidents that usually are dealer neglect, E-Z-GO does not have the time to police the entire dealer community.

So... I just wanted to point out that going beyond factory specs will void the warranty... even if a dealer does it. Dealers also offer their own warranties

Bob
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-04-2008, 09:25 PM   #12
ruredy
Born Wild

Bob, the big difference is when a person has the dealer do the speed control adjustment, the dealer is responsible for it regardless of what Ezgo's policy is. Thats the whole point behind getting the dealer to do it. If Ezgo has a issue with one of its dealer, it needs to take it up with them, not the customers.
Old 04-04-2008, 09:59 PM   #13
Bob-0
Gone Wild

Hiya Jon

I knew where you guys were heading, but the reason I brought that up is because I know there are some dealers on here.

The problem isn't so much that they shouldn't, but that E-Z-GO does check all warrantied parts and if they consistently get in parts from one dealer that have failed due to over stressing then that dealer can be in trouble.

What are the odds of it happening.... not much. But, golf cars that don't last long because of what a dealer does will not only come back to bite the dealer, but also E-Z-GO.... That customer will say they had "nothing but trouble, or they don't build a good car ect..."

That's what I was going for.... that E-Z-GO does deal with dealer issues on a matter like that, and the customer is only involved in-so-far as the Factory rep would have to set the governor. I wanted to also point out that the dealer can offer their own warranty, but the dealer can loose their contract.

I don't want to raise any kind of stink . Just mainly what I mentioned above, and that dealers are held accountable when appropriate

.... if any of that makes sense

Bob
Old 04-04-2008, 10:15 PM   #14
todwil
TOD WILD

I do think we have more experience with carts than 99% of the people in here, so take my advice as you want. I never meant to offend you, as you definately know your stuff Ruredy...[/QUOTE]

O really, Mike Ya know your twistin a knot in my hill brake compensator
spring I'm trying real hard not to speak but I am not sure I'll make it!!!
Old 04-04-2008, 10:25 PM   #15
mikesmotortoys
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Dare I make another comment here? We are still talking about a SIMPLE govenor adjustment, aren't we? How did we get to the factory checking warrantied parts and dealer contracts? Did all this start because of me? Heck, I just wanted the guy to have the dealership check the adjustment, rather than someone say "put a zip tie on it". I think the problem has already been answered and repaired here...

Factory EZGO - Bad Boy Buggy - Dixie Chopper Mowers
Old 04-04-2008, 10:36 PM   #16
mikesmotortoys
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

--->
Quote:
Originally Posted by benelliman View Post
Mike,

Thank you so much for your response, I called the dealership and asked them about adjustments he said that they would adjust the governor and tighten the belt. He just wouldn't tell me how much faster it will go...do you have any idea as to what those adjustments would do? He also said that as long as he did the adjustments and service it wouldn't void the warranty.

Again thanks for your honesty!!!!!

Old 04-04-2008, 10:53 PM   #17
Bob-0
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesmotortoys View Post
Bob, you make it seem like EZGO is hard to deal with and that they are crawling all over your parents business? How did we get to the factory checking warrantied parts and dealer contracts?
Not at all, my Parents just gained branch status (their working on finalizing it all), so I have had the opportunity to hear them talk about how E-Z-GO interacts with Dealers through branches.

We got to those topics because altering the governor is not as simple as the average dealer thinks. The factory looks at all parts now, a couple of years ago they only did "spot" checks. They loose too much money to warranty, so they are tightening the belt. The contracts come into play because it is also a dealer's regulatory guide.

As I have seen over my short time, not all dealers will do any better than the zip-tie method. There is no factory training on how to set the governor at an optimum rpm. It isn't a simple thing, for the reasons I mentioned before.

I just want everyone to understand the whole and not the part.... as long as everyone knows I'm not trying to be a jerk here . It puts the dealer in a huge liability risk. The customer can suffer from shortened engine life.

Don't worry, this comes up every time someone says they want to tweak the governor. It has been something E-Z-GO has been addressing since the Freedom HP cars.

The answer hasn't been completely made until the person knows the whole.... in my opinion. So now he knows that he will loose the whole warranty if anyone adjusts it

.... Wait a second, his dealer said he would tighten the belt...... What's that got to do with the speed of the car... Kinda like what I was talking about with certain dealers. A shorter drive belt will prevent the car from reaching top speed.... tightening the s/g belt will only keep it from sqeeking
Old 04-04-2008, 10:57 PM   #18
mikesmotortoys
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Point well said Bob-O

Old 04-04-2008, 11:14 PM   #19
Bob-0
Gone Wild

Oh Thank you

before I run... I thought I might have not made one little thing as clear as I should have.

Dealers can offer and honor their own warranty, separate from the factory. It is a good idea to stick with a dealer for that reason.

The other quick note that I wanted to make was that if a customer brings his/her car to the dealer for a new (lets say...) drive belt.... That does not require a check of the governer system.

I have found that showing customers how to set the governer length to 2-1/2" has resulted in more well maintained vehicles

Just like the reverse buzzer is required, and if disabled the dealer MUST repair it so that it works all the time. So when someone says their reverse buzzer is too loud then I usually tell them how to check the voltage through the buzzer to ensure it isn't too high

Bob
Old 04-05-2008, 06:41 AM   #20
Saltysteele
Home of the Teeny Weaney

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob-0 View Post
So when someone says their reverse buzzer is too loud then I usually tell them how to check the voltage through the buzzer to ensure it isn't too high

Bob
Closed Thread
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO