lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-12-2012, 07:08 AM   #1
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

Question Clutch Removal Tool for '84-'87 Club Car

Can anyone link me to the clutch removal tool that's used to pull the old-style Salisbury drive clutch they used from '84-'87? I can't find anything online that says it's for these years? All the bolts for sale everywhere say "88 and up" it seems.

Reason is, I'm buying a used 1986 KF82 and from what I've read I'll need to use my newer clutch or else the drive belt won't line up with my driven clutch. Apparently the old clutch sits out from the motor a half-inch further than than the '88-'91 clutch.

This is the clutch for the '84-'87:
Springbok is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-13-2012, 07:37 AM   #2
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

Default Re: Clutch Removal Tool for '84-'87 Club Car

Well I got my new motor dropped in (from an '86 Club Car) and just like I thought, the drive clutch doesn't line up quite right with the driven clutch.

Guess I'm either getting a new 88-up clutch or else making a new motor plate so I can use this one.

Illustrated:

*For those of you you may be wondering, yes my cart is an '87, but it has 88-91 clutches. Unofficially, 1987 was a crossover year for the clutch changes. There's another '87 near me that also has the newer clutches.
Old 10-14-2012, 08:32 AM   #3
ckiguy
Bad *** Speller!

Club Car

ummm it appears something is going on in the rear clutch with the buttons..just dont look right. but by looking at the angle with your starter belt, it appears the engine is either slid over or the axle is. isnt the engines able to be moved on these? plus the starter belt is a little cracked, and worn! yeah the more i look at it, it appears one of them has moved over...
ckiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 04:09 PM   #4
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

The motor can be moved front to back on the plate but not side to side. But there is nothing wrong with the driven clutch, I got the cart running today. The issue in the image is simply that the 84-87 drive clutch doesn't line up with the 88-up driven clutch. As soon as I put the newer clutch on, the belt lined up perfectly.

I ended up making a tool to remove the clutch out of a 1/2" steel rod and. 5/8" coarse thread bolt. The tool I ended up with looks exactly like what you would buy from a cart parts supplier.
Old 10-14-2012, 05:32 PM   #5
RSP
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

I`ll bet you like that new clutch, those old style clutches were junk
RSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 09:10 PM   #6
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

Yeah that old clutch seems to not be as good a unit as the newer style. I wonder why the older clutch is so much more expensive brand-new.
Old 02-15-2019, 02:29 PM   #7
ar5crash
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

what are the lengths you used for the 1/2" rod and the 5/8" bolt?
ar5crash is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
club car, clutch, clutches, drive, salsbury
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car