lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-16-2011, 01:17 PM   #11
Legendary Golf Carts
Gone Wild

Default Re: 2000 PDS slows down

Personal experience. It costs me $5.85 after shipping, and I get a 6 mph boost. You get the same pedal up and torque settings, It just raises the governor.
Legendary Golf Carts is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-17-2011, 10:47 AM   #12
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Now you guys have got me curious.

It may very well be just my imagination, but my cart seems to have more torque in the Mild Hill mode than it does in the Freedom mode, so being a geek, I'm going to run some tests to find out for sure.

Two of my winter projects are installing a DVM monitoring battery pack voltage and a Digital Ammeter monitoring total current draw from battery pack; And there's a couple paved hills not far from my house, one is a 200' rise over a half mile and the other is about the same height over a much shorter distance.

If I leave my place shortly after the charger shuts off automatically in the various PDS modes and travel the same route, higher current reading going up the same hills would indicate more torque.
(And more heat - Maybe I ought to monitor motor temperature also.)
I suspect the greatest difference, if any, will be seen between the Steep Hill and Freedom modes.

I'll post the empirical data when I get it.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 10:59 AM   #13
Spawn
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

The amount of Auto brake is where the heat is going to come from and of course the Regen side if you fly down a steep hill or grade.
There is place where we camp that has a long downgrade slope to the beach and if I go full throttle it will apply the Regen and keep the cart in the 17mph range with the steep or mild hill and in the 20+ range in freedom.Using steep hill uses the most auto brake. when you pop off the throttle with any speed it applies and increases the motor and controller heat from what I have seen.

Again as we all know slow and heat takes its toll on the stock motor and controller.
Eventually you will hit the thermal overload. It happened to me once in freedom in some sugar sand.

I run all terrain any time I go off road now. freedom is only for the street since I can switch mine with my switch. If i run in the woods I coast down all hills since there is no auto or hill braking going on and it helps to keep the controller cooler. I always fluctuate the throttle riding on the trails and goose it if its smooth enough.
Spawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 12:44 PM   #14
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spawn View Post
The amount of Auto brake is where the heat is going to come from and of course the Regen side if you fly down a steep hill or grade.................
Yep - Regen braking and Auto braking is where the bulk of the heat will come from, but it also comes from the current flowing through the motor that is not converted into motion.

All the kilowatts of electrical energy pumped into a motor come out either as ft/lbs of torque or BTU's of heat.
The slower the motor turns per KW in, the more KW are converted to heat, that's why eggs can be fried on a stalled motor. (Unless the smoke leaks out of the motor first)

Rigging up dash mounted switches to change PDS modes is also one of my winter projects.

I run Mild Hill around here most of the time and haven't hit a thermal overload yet, but there are times I want to put it in Freedom mode when I go into town and play in the traffic.
Old 11-17-2011, 01:58 PM   #15
Legendary Golf Carts
Gone Wild

How is the top speed in mild hill compared to freedom? I know torque is supposed to be steep hill>mild hill>freedom and fleet but I haven't actually tried anything but freedom. It sure is nice to have the PDS controllers, it is $5 for a chip vs. $500 for a new controller.
Legendary Golf Carts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 03:23 PM   #16
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legendary Golf Carts View Post
How is the top speed in mild hill compared to freedom? I know torque is supposed to be steep hill>mild hill>freedom and fleet but I haven't actually tried anything but freedom. It sure is nice to have the PDS controllers, it is $5 for a chip vs. $500 for a new controller.
I've never timed it in Mild Hill, but I get 18.2 MPH in Freedom mode, which is about half way between the 17-19 EZGO publishes, so I'm guessing it's about halfway between the 14-14.5 they say for Mild Hill, or about 14.3. That's all speed I want to do on the roads/terrain I travel most of the time, and I like the Regen braking.

My cart had a Freedom "chip" in it when I got it and I just clipped the jumper between pins 2&3 to get the Mild Hill mode. Added a little wire and a switch that I ty-wrapped to the BL- cable, so I can switch it back to Freedom mode when I want to. It's a bit of a hassle stopping and lifting the seat, so I'm going to put the switches on the dash or somewhere more convenient.

My cart was made in Aug-08, so I might not have to remote the Run/Tow switch, but I haven't tried switching modes without toggling the Run/Tow switch yet, so I don't know if my controller has the later version firmware.
Old 01-23-2012, 02:04 AM   #17
tony@mosuae.com
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Not mechanically or electrically mind but find all this information fascinating. New to all this technical jargon. I am very interested in speed chips and found this article (http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedi...-ezgo-96210938)
As far as I can understand the article it gives me the impression that once the speed chip has been installed you can flip a switch and this will change from speed (road use) to hilly conditions. Reading most of the forums on chips I have not come across any information on this particular set up. I have a Freedom with a 500 Altrax controller, upgrade cables and solenoid switch. I would like to install this chip but am very cautious. Any advice?
Cheers,
Tony
tony@mosuae.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 03:17 AM   #18
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony@mosuae.com View Post
Not mechanically or electrically mind but find all this information fascinating. New to all this technical jargon. I am very interested in speed chips and found this article (http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedi...-ezgo-96210938)
As far as I can understand the article it gives me the impression that once the speed chip has been installed you can flip a switch and this will change from speed (road use) to hilly conditions. Reading most of the forums on chips I have not come across any information on this particular set up. I have a Freedom with a 500 Altrax controller, upgrade cables and solenoid switch. I would like to install this chip but am very cautious. Any advice?
Cheers,
Tony
I am very familiar with these 'chips' (actually jumper plugs) and they do not work with Alltrax controllers. They work with the stock Ezgo PDS controller ONLY.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 04:04 AM   #19
tony@mosuae.com
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
I am very familiar with these 'chips' (actually jumper plugs) and they do not work with Alltrax controllers. They work with the stock Ezgo PDS controller ONLY.
Thank you very much for the information appreciate your valid input
tony@mosuae.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO