lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-09-2012, 03:13 PM   #31
Owenr
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: 2008 EZGO PDS Cart

I just really want speed only. I live on a golf course and a mile or so from the club house. No hills. I really dont want to have to buy another motor and other parts, just a controller that I could mount on and go. I would really like to go 22 to 24 MPH
Owenr is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-09-2012, 03:26 PM   #32
Coltf1991
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Well, I would recommend you shop with the company I posted above, due to personal experience. ALOT of help here, email and on the phone if necessary. He has package deals and things along the lines of that. Call Scotty and tell him what you are looking for.

I am going to give you some options on what to talk to him about when/if you call so you do not get blind sided with overwhelming information.

To get to 24-25mph you will need the following:(minimum, this is what I have)

Alltrax DCX 400/500 amp controller
HD Solenoid
Resistor
Diode
2-4gauge cables (I have 2 Gauge) All 10 of them, not just battery cables!

Resistor and Diode come with the solenoid so I don't mean that to look like a lot of stuff needs to be bought, just wanted to Itemize it for you.

Colton
Coltf1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 03:46 PM   #33
Owenr
Not Yet Wild

Ok, Thanks for the info. I will check out the solenoid and then go from there.
Old 01-09-2012, 04:05 PM   #34
Coltf1991
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Sweet! Well keep us updated and good luck with the Auditors.
Old 01-10-2012, 06:16 PM   #35
Owenr
Not Yet Wild

The solenoid showed .17 wide open. Is this ok?
Old 01-10-2012, 06:26 PM   #36
Coltf1991
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Your solenoid is fine.
Old 01-11-2012, 07:25 AM   #37
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owenr View Post
I just really want speed only. I live on a golf course and a mile or so from the club house. No hills. I really dont want to have to buy another motor and other parts, just a controller that I could mount on and go. I would really like to go 22 to 24 MPH
Let's put this into perspective.

In general terms: Electric golf carts are designed to carry two golfers and two sets of clubs over groomed cart trails at about 15MPH for about 18 holes before being recharged.
If you play 36 holes before recharging, you kill the batteries faster and if you only play 9 holes before recharging the batteries last longer.

If you want more than that, you have to upgrade the cart's drive system.

Specifically: The PDS cart has the "Freedom" option that isn't supplied with carts destined for the rental cart fleets at golf courses, but is an easy and inexpensive upgrade for a private owner.
With a "Freedom Chip" and a stock PDS cart will go 17-19 MPH on stock height tires.

That is the first, the last and the only easy and inexpensive speed upgrade.

The Precision Drive System (PDS) uses a Sepex (Separately Excited or shunt wound) motor, but the high current path is a series circuit, meaning that the same high current flows through each cable, component and connection equally, so the entire drive circuit is limited by the weakest link in the series chain.

A 2008 PDS had some 4Ga cables, which are okay with a 400A or 500A aftermarket controller, but be aware that some of the cables might be 6Ga.
If the cables get hot, they are either bad or too small and need to be replaced/upgraded.

With a Freedom Chip, the PDS controller limits the motor to about 4,400 RPM or about 18 MPH on 17.4" tires. (Carlisle Links)
Going to 20" tires (max height without lifting cart) would give you about 21 Mph, but will reduce torque, which in turn means you are going to be pushing the throttle down further to compensate for the reduced torque, drawing more current and putting more stress on controller, motor and everything else in drive system.

Going to an aftermarket controller that doesn't limit motor RPM or have Regen braking, will get you into the low twenties with stock tire height, but you have to spin the motor at about 5,800 RPM to get 24MPH on stock height tires and about 5,000 RPM on 20" tires.

I'm about 99.9% sure your controller is bad, so my advice is replace it with a 400A or 500A aftermarket controller and compatible solenoid. About $500 and $600 respectfully.
If that isn't fast enough, up the size of the tires.

Be aware that the cables and batteries quickly become the weakest links in the upgraded chain.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO