lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-04-2012, 06:26 PM   #1
Rickochet
Card Carrying Old Fart

E-Z-GO

Default Battery Charge Gauge Recommendations

I just picked up and EZGO electric and was considering adding a battery charge/ percent of use gauge or whatever it is called.

I am looking for input on which one is best or even if they are worth installing. I see some digital ones with bars and analog ones with needles.

Any info would be appreciated.
Rickochet is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-04-2012, 08:07 PM   #2
AzPete
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Battery Charge Gauge Recommendations

http://www.cartsunlimited.net/Digita...ry_Meters.html

I have the one from the listed site plus a SOC bar graph on the same cart. The SOC bar graph is worthless....I really like the one from Carts Unlimited.
AzPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 04:54 AM   #3
Rickochet
Card Carrying Old Fart

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzPete View Post
http://www.cartsunlimited.net/Digita...ry_Meters.html

I have the one from the listed site plus a SOC bar graph on the same cart. The SOC bar graph is worthless....I really like the one from Carts Unlimited.
Thanks for the link. The digital gauge looks nice. It says "only two wires" to hook up. Can you get the wiring from the dash or do you have to wire back to the batteries?
Old 02-05-2012, 06:41 AM   #4
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickochet View Post
Thanks for the link. The digital gauge looks nice. It says "only two wires" to hook up. Can you get the wiring from the dash or do you have to wire back to the batteries?
Like all electric cart accessories, you need B+ and B-, and for electrical safety reasons, you cannot use the frame for B-, so everything is a two wire system.

You can pick up B+ at the key switch and if you have lights, you might find B- in the dash area. Otherwise, you'll have to run a wire back to the battery pack negative terminal (B-).

The DVM in the link AzPete posted, uses so little current it can be wired straight to battery pack and left on all the time without worrying about battery drain.

All SoC (State of Charge) meters have some quirks and the bar-graph types are the quirkiest, but with all of them, you have to learn how to use them and how to interpret what they are telling you.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 07:33 AM   #5
Rickochet
Card Carrying Old Fart

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
You can pick up B+ at the key switch and if you have lights, you might find B- in the dash area. Otherwise, you'll have to run a wire back to the battery pack negative terminal (B-).
The DVM in the link AzPete posted, uses so little current it can be wired straight to battery pack and left on all the time without worrying about battery drain.
I have lights and that would seem to make it a pretty easy installation. I would prefer "key on" power for the DVM. Otherwise I will have people keep bugging me telling me "There is a light on in your cart."
Old 02-05-2012, 09:05 AM   #6
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

A couple hints:
* Print up a cheat sheet that correlates voltage to SoC and paste on the dash.
* Let batteries rest a few minutes after running to get an accurate voltage for SoC.
Technically, the battery voltage dips while under load due to electrolyte stratification, but recovers equilibrium in a few minutes.
I mention this because many people think their batteries are bad when they see how far the voltage drops under load, but a few volts it is normal.
If it stays down then there is a problem.

This is the quirk of the DVM type SoC meters, they show the battery voltage in real time and that can be scary for non-technical people.

Good luck, happy carting and be safe,
John
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 09:26 AM   #7
AzPete
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Here is just one past posting about the difference in the meters. Lots of good reading when searched for on here.

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...olt-meter.html
Old 02-05-2012, 09:37 AM   #8
Rickochet
Card Carrying Old Fart

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post

A couple hints:
* Print up a cheat sheet that correlates voltage to SoC and paste on the dash.
* Let batteries rest a few minutes after running to get an accurate voltage for SoC.
Technically, the battery voltage dips while under load due to electrolyte stratification, but recovers equilibrium in a few minutes.
I mention this because many people think their batteries are bad when they see how far the voltage drops under load, but a few volts it is normal.
If it stays down then there is a problem.

This is the quirk of the DVM type SoC meters, they show the battery voltage in real time and that can be scary for non-technical people.

Good luck, happy carting and be safe,
John
Thanks for the tips John. I also tinker with remote control electric airplanes and those batt packs dip under load also then recover some when back at rest. My transmitter has real time telemetry for the aircraft batt pack and the inflight voltages can be pretty interesting under load.

Here is a chart from the Cartsunlimited.net site. I would think unless you know how to interpret the numbers the DVM is useless. That is probably why many prefer the bar type meters.

Does anyone have a link for any other printable charts?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg batterytable1-1.jpg (88.7 KB, 13 views)
Old 02-05-2012, 09:57 AM   #9
Rickochet
Card Carrying Old Fart

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzPete View Post
Here is just one past posting about the difference in the meters. Lots of good reading when searched for on here.

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...olt-meter.html
Thanks for the link Pete. Are these DVM's specifically for carts or might I find one at Radio Shack or Graingers?

Should these DVM's be fused? If not and if one fails is there any chance it would kill the power or discharge the batteries?
Old 02-05-2012, 10:07 AM   #10
AzPete
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I used the one from Carts Unlimited. I just tapped mine of of the old SOC meter which is direct wired to the battery. No fuse that I know ow as the bar SOC was on the cart when I got it. I doubt one would fail in a way to hurt the batteries. Now, if the wires were to be routed in a way that they could be damaged, then that could cause a problem....just pay attention to the routing.

The meter it self must be good for 45-50 volts if used on a 36 volt cart as the full charge goes to 45+/- before it is completed.

I like mine wired on all the time. I can see what the charger is doing plus know at a glance what state the batteries are in if I am not using it on a regular basis.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO