lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-04-2012, 04:45 PM   #1
shaferz
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Default need help. no change in to speed with the 'speed chip'

Cart is a 1996 EZGO 36v that has been changed over to PDS.

Has a PlumQuick red motor.

Got the cart home. Downloaded a GPS speedometer on two different cell phones, and both phones reported about 13mph or so. I was expecting 18mph+ out of it.

I bought the cart with the 'speed' chip in it, but upon looking at things, one of the terminals looked bad, so I replaced the old speed chip with a new one.

Same speed... 13mph or so.

Running the cart without any 'chip' at all line makes the cart run at the same 13mph.

Can not test the 'beeps' to see what is going on with the modes... there is no 'beeper' hooked up on the cart.

Can someone link me to or step me through step-by-step diagnostics with a multimeter?

Batteries are new. Motor is a fairly new PQ red one.

Possibly related is that the cart seems to accelerate MUCH quicker in reverse than in Forward...?

Thanks,
Zach
shaferz is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-04-2012, 05:12 PM   #2
Rickochet
Card Carrying Old Fart

E-Z-GO

Default Re: need help. no change in to speed with the 'speed chip'

I read that after changing the J-2 connector (speed chip) that you have to set the controller into diagnostic mode for the new setting to take effect or it will still run in the previous mode regardless of the chip.
Rickochet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 06:31 AM   #3
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaferz View Post
Cart is a 1996 EZGO 36v that has been changed over to PDS.

Has a PlumQuick red motor.
This motor/controller combination doesn't add up.
Here is a cut and paste from the PQ website
"Red motors are high performance and heavy duty Series custom built motors for superior performance (double high speed banding, high speed balancing, and vented when acceptable)."

I seriously doubt that a PDS controller, which is designed for a Sepex motor, is turning a Series motor fast enough to move a cart at 13MPH.
Perhaps the motor or controller isn't being correctly identified.

Pictures of both please. Let's find out exactly what you've got and then move on from there.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 06:34 AM   #4
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickochet View Post
I read that after changing the J-2 connector (speed chip) that you have to set the controller into diagnostic mode for the new setting to take effect or it will still run in the previous mode regardless of the chip.
To change a PDS mode, or do any electrical work on cart, place Run/Tow switch in Tow position, change the chip, place back into Run.
The controller reads the J2 jumpers when Run/Tow switch is placed back into Run position and sets the PDS mode it runs in.

To get the controller to tell you what PDS mode it is in, put controller into Diagnostic mode and count the beeps.
Old 03-05-2012, 05:11 PM   #5
shaferz
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

The cart in question is here:

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/road-...tml#post683956

Has a 300amp controller... ? I assumed stock because it has the j2 connector.

Cart has never achieved 18mph in my possession.
Old 03-06-2012, 07:15 AM   #6
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaferz View Post
The cart in question is here:

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/road-...tml#post683956

Has a 300amp controller... ? I assumed stock because it has the j2 connector.

Cart has never achieved 18mph in my possession.
That sure does look like a Sepex motor and if Andy built it, I'm pretty sure he wired it correctly and it did 18MPH as stated, so the question becomes: Why won't it do 18MPH now?

The first troubleshooting question is always, what is the battery pack voltage? Batteries should be fully charged (38.2V) for troubleshooting.

Next, I'd make sure full battery pack voltage was getting to the controller/motor. (Jack rear wheels off ground, so cart doesn't run over you)
Attach Negative DVM test lead to Negative post on Right-Rear battery.
Attach Positive DVM test lead to controller side main terminal of solenoid.
Should read about 3-5V less than Battery Pack voltage with pedal up and full Pack voltage with Pedal pushed.

If the battery is fully charged and the full battery pack voltage is getting to the Controller/Motor, the controller might be in something other than the "Freedom" mode, or the throttle (ITS) isn't telling the controller to turn on fully, or the controller isn't getting RPM info from the motor (Speed Sensor).

Without a beeper, which is also a safety/liability issue I'm not sure if you can determine what PDS mode the controller is in. The pause between Beeps are probably too short for a DVM to respond to. You might be able to wire three small 12V light bulbs in series between B+ from the battery pack and J-1 Pin-10 on the controller and count the flickers, but you really need to get a beeper so you can use the diagnostic mode.

Here is the label that tells you how to put controller in diagnostic mode and what the fault codes are, and a PDS schematic, and a chart with the beep codes and jumpers for the various PDS modes

Also, You can download the Owner, Service and parts manuals that will come close to matching your cart here: (The *.pdf files)
http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...g-manuals.html
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PDS Label on Controller Cover.JPG (142.9 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg Wiring Diagram - PDS.JPG (64.6 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg PDS J2 mode plugs.jpg (130.2 KB, 9 views)
Old 03-07-2012, 04:39 PM   #7
shaferz
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
That sure does look like a Sepex motor and if Andy built it, I'm pretty sure he wired it correctly and it did 18MPH as stated, so the question becomes: Why won't it do 18MPH now?

The first troubleshooting question is always, what is the battery pack voltage? Batteries should be fully charged (38.2V) for troubleshooting.

Next, I'd make sure full battery pack voltage was getting to the controller/motor. (Jack rear wheels off ground, so cart doesn't run over you)
Attach Negative DVM test lead to Negative post on Right-Rear battery.
Attach Positive DVM test lead to controller side main terminal of solenoid.
Should read about 3-5V less than Battery Pack voltage with pedal up and full Pack voltage with Pedal pushed.

If the battery is fully charged and the full battery pack voltage is getting to the Controller/Motor, the controller might be in something other than the "Freedom" mode, or the throttle (ITS) isn't telling the controller to turn on fully, or the controller isn't getting RPM info from the motor (Speed Sensor).

Without a beeper, which is also a safety/liability issue I'm not sure if you can determine what PDS mode the controller is in. The pause between Beeps are probably too short for a DVM to respond to. You might be able to wire three small 12V light bulbs in series between B+ from the battery pack and J-1 Pin-10 on the controller and count the flickers, but you really need to get a beeper so you can use the diagnostic mode.

Here is the label that tells you how to put controller in diagnostic mode and what the fault codes are, and a PDS schematic, and a chart with the beep codes and jumpers for the various PDS modes

Also, You can download the Owner, Service and parts manuals that will come close to matching your cart here: (The *.pdf files)
http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...g-manuals.html
Thanks for the info bud!

When I get back home from Seattle, I am printing these instructions and going to tear into it!

THANKS!
Old 03-07-2012, 07:45 PM   #8
Spawn
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

If I recall disconecting the buzzer in a PDS keeps it in all terrain mode for safety. anyone else back this up?
Spawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 01:32 PM   #9
shaferz
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spawn View Post
If I recall disconecting the buzzer in a PDS keeps it in all terrain mode for safety. anyone else back this up?

Well that is absolutely some pertinent information if true.

Can anyone verify?
Old 03-08-2012, 01:37 PM   #10
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

Never heard that one before.
gornoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO