lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-25-2012, 07:24 PM   #1
theclintonsx4
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default I got the need for speed!!!

I went to the coast this weekend with the new batteries in the cart for the first time. I'm still getting about 14-15mph top speed. Its an 03 series cart 36v with 22" tires and lift kit. I'm looking at the Plum Quick Bandit motor upgrade or a possible upgrade to 48v. I'm only 1/2 hr from Plum Quick and the motor upgrade would be fairly easy on the wallet and should be a painless removal and install. My question is which is the better option? I'm reading around and some people say put 48v worth of batteries in the cart and drive. Some say replace solenoid or FNR switch or both. Some say replace the controller. I just want to know exactly what I would need to complete 48v upgrade and which is the better investment? Thx in advance!
theclintonsx4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-26-2012, 11:19 AM   #2
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: I got the need for speed!!!

I might be wrong, but I think the Bandit upgrade is for Sepex motors rather than Series motors.
Of course, I'm sure Plum Quick will steer you in the right direction when you call them.

Just upgrading the motor or just going to 48V probably isn't going to work too well since total current flows through everything in the high current circuit equally in a series cart.

Going with motor only, you'll have to upgrade controller, cables, solenoid and F/R switch to handle the increased current demands.

Going with 48V only, you have to upgrade the controller and solenoid to the higher voltage. And cables if they are less than 4Ga and maybe the F/R switch if it is worn.

There are no easy, clear cut answers.

Basically, with a series wound motor: Amps = Torque and Voltage = Speed

Running 22" tires rather than the stock 18" ones, you've increased speed by about 20% and reduced Torque by a similar amount.
To recover the lost Torque, you've got to allow the motor to draw more amps, which means a bigger controller, solenoid and cables.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 04:25 PM   #3
tuf-duc
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Plum Quick works on Series motors as well. They say The Bandit series should give you about a 20% increase in torque and speed. Your choke points will be a stock coil, controller and battey cables.
tuf-duc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 05:15 PM   #4
TerryH
Let's go racin' boyz!!

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by theclintonsx4 View Post
I went to the coast this weekend with the new batteries in the cart for the first time. I'm still getting about 14-15mph top speed. Its an 03 series cart 36v with 22" tires and lift kit. I'm looking at the Plum Quick Bandit motor upgrade or a possible upgrade to 48v. I'm only 1/2 hr from Plum Quick and the motor upgrade would be fairly easy on the wallet and should be a painless removal and install. My question is which is the better option? I'm reading around and some people say put 48v worth of batteries in the cart and drive. Some say replace solenoid or FNR switch or both. Some say replace the controller. I just want to know exactly what I would need to complete 48v upgrade and which is the better investment? Thx in advance!
Just get it over with and buy it all.

The correct answer probably depends on how much speed you are looking for. Do you have a number in mind? One thing to remember is that once you start upgrading the cart it will stress the components that haven't been upgraded. It's really is better to do as much at on time as you can in my opinion.
TerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 07:12 PM   #5
R8cer Ex
Yes dear

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by theclintonsx4 View Post
I just put a PQ bandit in my 36v series cart along with a controller, solenoid, 1/0 gauge cables and F/R switch. I was able to squeek out 18mph up from 14 in my pre swap testing with 22' tires. Converting to 48v would get you another mph or two I would think. Dropping $1000 on another 4mph is tough to swallow but it's an electric golf cart, I wasn't expecting much for my money. One thing that is cool is I can pull up the front end with the PQ bandit. Quite a bit of torque and decent speed for the money.

Good luck!
R8cer Ex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 08:22 AM   #6
fishb8
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

My cart (info in my signature) will go 23-25 mph.
fishb8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 08:29 AM   #7
R8cer Ex
Yes dear

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishb8 View Post
My cart (info in my signature) will go 23-25 mph.
I'm gonna have to add two more batteries then!
R8cer Ex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 08:36 AM   #8
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

I run 24mph on an EZ-Go TXT Series cart. 48v conversion, Alltrax AXE 4845 controller, HD solenoid, 4g soldered welding cables, HD F/R switch, stock gearing, stock diameter low profile tires, and a custom wound Plum Quick motor. All day long.
gornoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 01:46 PM   #9
theclintonsx4
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

I was hoping for 19 mph or a little more. I'd like to be comparable to the pds carts and such. I was not really wanting to drop 1k in the cart just for a few mph, I was hoping more like 500$ maybe?
theclintonsx4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 02:45 PM   #10
05ezgo36
Not Yet Wild

if you are going from 36 to 48 and have 6 6volt battery can you buy 1 12volt and add to the middle of the series???
05ezgo36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO