lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-23-2014, 07:39 PM   #1
yellow57
Not Yet Wild

Default batteries keep charging

The 8 volt batteries in my club cart will not stop charging. The charger will continue to charge for hours to the point the the batteries get warm. I know it's not the charger because I have two carts and the same thing happens with both chargers.
yellow57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-23-2014, 07:44 PM   #2
crash test dummy

Default Re: batteries keep charging

batteries can charge up to 16 hrs .. warm , bubbles are normal
Old 04-23-2014, 08:05 PM   #3
mymonstertruck
Gone Wild

Club Car

I've noticed when the out side temperature reached 70 my batteries went charge hungry. They charged for 16 hours, two cycles in a row. After that they charged like normal. If your cells are low on water they will charge for a long time as well.
mymonstertruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 08:30 PM   #4
smokey tennis shoe
Gone Wild
Club Car

Also, if you have a bad battery, the charger will just keep running and running. I just went thru this, tried 2 chargers like you, and would never shut off.

Ended up 2 batteries were bad.
smokey tennis shoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 01:37 AM   #5
krashhole
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

How do you determine if you have a bad battery?
krashhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 06:38 AM   #6
Budule
Gone Wild

Club Car

With one of these.....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg $_57.jpg (86.0 KB, 0 views)
Budule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 08:03 AM   #7
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

The cart is a better load tester than you can buy in a handheld devise. Install a digital battery or connect a handheld voltmeter to the pack and accelerate hard ( uphill if available ). Your pack voltage should not drop by more than 5-6v collectively.

Check the voltage on all the batteries and compare the readings. Anything 1-2v low has definitely got a bad cell.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 08:35 AM   #8
krashhole
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Thanks Scotty. I have a pretty steep driveway, so I'll try that today. Also, I know these batteries can take a long time to charge depending on many things. Last night for example at 1 am I checked the pack voltage while they were charging and it was at 43.5v and the old manual lister charger was at 7 amps. I checked the pack voltage just now while still charging at it was 43.7 and the charger showing 6 amps. It's been on the charger almost 18 hours now.......
krashhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 08:35 AM   #9
Budule
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
The cart is a better load tester than you can buy in a handheld devise. Install a digital battery or connect a handheld voltmeter to the pack and accelerate hard ( uphill if available ). Your pack voltage should not drop by more than 5-6v collectively.

Check the voltage on all the batteries and compare the readings. Anything 1-2v low has definitely got a bad cell.
That didn't work on my old cart that had "marginal" batteries .....they would all show pretty close voltage but some would drop WAY lower than others when I would put the load tester on them , then I would go to the "battery pile" with the load tester and find one that didn't drop so far.....plus the load tester shows volts anyway dosent it?
Budule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 09:22 AM   #10
smokey tennis shoe
Gone Wild
Club Car

Krashole, The first guy that started this thread, said he had 8 volt batteries. At some point when you jumped in, you mentioned 43 volts.

If you have 8 volt batteries, and you are reading 43 volts, at any time, there is a problem. I think you are going to find a bad battery or more than one.
smokey tennis shoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car