lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-27-2014, 04:47 PM   #1
george lai
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default 1983 36v low speed problem

Hello all, I have a problem. the first switch and solenoid energize but nothing happens until second solenoid energizes. the first solenoid that energizes is on the far driver side. any help would be appreciated.
george lai is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-27-2014, 06:37 PM   #2
Budule
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: 1983 36v low speed problem

I think the first solenoid is the master , cart should NOT move on that one....
Budule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 09:46 PM   #3
93yellowclubcar
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Club Car

Here's the quick rundown on your drive system. The solenoids are Master, 2,3,4, and 5 starting on the driver's side going toward the passenger side. The little box with red ends under the seat near the driver's side frame rail contains a stepped slide and 5 microswitches which engage the solenoids. All told you will hear five clicks and have four speeds. When you first press down on the pedal, microswitch one engages and the master solenoid will click - this should net no forward movement. a bit further down and microswitch two engages solenoid two, you should begin to move. Then proceeding downward on the pedal, switch 3 engages solenoid 3 and you gain speed (2nd speed). The process is the same with the engagement of solenoid 4 and 5, resulting in third and fourth speed. Operation in reverse is the same, but speed will be 1/2 due to reverse drawing power from the 3 batteries on the driver's side (18 volt reverse).
93yellowclubcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 10:57 PM   #4
krashhole
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Great info for us noobs!
krashhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 02:16 PM   #5
george lai
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Ok, great info, one more thing. I installed a forward reverse limetswitch. not sure which way to install. one way the switch is made in forward position . the other way it makes in reverse. that switch is in series with the key switch. what does this due and what position should it be installed?
george lai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 02:25 PM   #6
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Install it so that it is triggered in both F&R
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 10:14 PM   #7
krashhole
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Regarding the operation of the solenoids, I noticed on my 85 club car that it moves on the first click I hear. A bit further, it clicks and moves a bit faster and then one more click when the pedal is fully depressed. If im not hearing 5 clicks, I assume a solenoid is out?
Old 04-30-2014, 10:21 PM   #8
93yellowclubcar
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by krashhole View Post
Regarding the operation of the solenoids, I noticed on my 85 club car that it moves on the first click I hear. A bit further, it clicks and moves a bit faster and then one more click when the pedal is fully depressed. If im not hearing 5 clicks, I assume a solenoid is out?
Or one of the microswitches is out in the speed control box. Likely a solenoid though, the lower end ones usually go out first as they get more cycles over their lifespan. There are some really good diagrams of the solenoid wiring and the cart wiring up in the sticky section, just make sure your wiring looks like that, and then jack up the rear and listen and watch for movement. Wherever in the lineup I posted before that a click does not net speed increase or there is a lack of a click, you've got a suspect solenoid.
93yellowclubcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 10:29 PM   #9
krashhole
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Ok thanks. Im going to start stripping it down this weekend to get it ready for paint so I will check out the solenoids also.
Old 05-01-2014, 06:21 PM   #10
krashhole
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Looking at the diagram for my 85 CC DS, it shows 5 solenoids. Mine however only has 4. I don't even see a place where a 5th solenoid would mount. The previous owner changed out the 2hp motor and put in a 3hp motor as well. I assume 3 of the solenoids are for forward, and 1 for reverse? Because reverse is super slow.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car