lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-15-2011, 08:47 PM   #11
Down South
Growing In Grace

Club Car

Default Re: voltage reducer V/S 2nd Battery

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefuzz View Post
stevegrmich I'v looked at that one BUT if you red there WIREING they state the YELLOW wire is the trigger wire to go to the KEY or SWICH 48 VOLTS I'm sure my small cheepo key doesn't have 48V at it UNLESS it is at a relay SOMEWHERE ????
I'm in the process of buying a converter. An extra battery is more trouble than I want to fool with since I ride my cart daily. I'm not sure what cart that you have but the one in my sig has 48V to the switch. I'm interested in the converter mentioned in one of the links although I was looking for a 30A converter. The 20A converter will probably work for me so I'm waiting on one of our members to install his to see how it works.

The link............
http://www.ebay.com/itm/190530622956...4.m1497.l2649=

The yellow trigger wire should work fine through the key switch to turn the converter on and off. This is the route that I want to take. The converter in the link is an isolated converter which I am also looking for.

I want to direct wire my lights and auxiliary devices from the converter through a fuse block eliminating the factory wiring harness all together.

A multimeter will tell you if you have 48V at the key switch.
Down South is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-15-2011, 08:48 PM   #12
Stevegrmich
Medicare Recipient
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefuzz View Post
stevegrmich I'v looked at that one BUT if you red there WIREING they state the YELLOW wire is the trigger wire to go to the KEY or SWICH 48 VOLTS I'm sure my small cheepo key doesn't have 48V at it UNLESS it is at a relay SOMEWHERE ????
You key switch has two terminals . . one side is "hot" except when in TOW mode . . the other side is "cold" except when switch is turned on. Use your volt meter and measure the "cold" side with switch in "on" position . . read voltage between the "cold" side and the primary negative terminal on battery pack . . . if it reads your pack voltage, then trigger wire can/should be attached to the "cold" side of your key switch . .
Stevegrmich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 08:55 PM   #13
SEHunter
Gone Wild

is it a totally bad thing to have head lights only wired to one of the batteries in the pack?
SEHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 09:06 PM   #14
lgbarne
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevegrmich View Post
Or get a reducer similar to this one that has a "trigger" wire that you connect to your key switch that turns it on when you turn your key to "on" position . . . (this is the one I bought, but have not installed yet) . .

http://www.ebay.com/itm/190530622956...84.m1497.l2649
I used this converter that Steve mentions and has link to. There is a small blue wire coming to the soleniod that comes back from the key switch that is both 48V and switched. I am not at home right now so cannot go and confirm which wire, but if you refer to some schematics available you can trace it back, then use a volt meter to confirm which of the small wires coming to the solenoid is blue and confirm 48v switched. It works awesomely! Also, the size of this particular converter fits perfectly against the front wall between the OBC and the cover on the passenger side of the OBC - directly behind the charger plug. This is on a 2007 Precedent with 4 12V's.
lgbarne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 07:28 AM   #15
Down South
Growing In Grace

Club Car

Quote:
There is a small blue wire coming to the soleniod that comes back from the key switch that is both 48V and switched. I am not at home right now so cannot go and confirm which wire, but if you refer to some schematics available you can trace it back, then use a volt meter to confirm which of the small wires coming to the solenoid is blue and confirm 48v switched. It works awesomely!
That is nice to know. That would keep one from having to run a wire all the way back to the switch.
Down South is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 09:07 AM   #16
SaltLifeCC
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEHunter View Post
is it a totally bad thing to have head lights only wired to one of the batteries in the pack?
Not totally bad but will probably cost you in the long run. The OEM light kit for the 12v x 4 Precedents comes out of the box with instructions and parts to wire to one of the batteries. When you use your lights, it's putting extra load on that battery over and over again. Over time, that battery becomes the weakest link in the pack and the entire pack has to charge longer which could result in overcharging and boiling of the other batteries.

My main problem with it was that my lights never lasted long enough before they went dim and then went out. With a separate battery, I can run my lights and radio longer than I need to.
SaltLifeCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 02:25 PM   #17
ramblin-wreck
Getting Wild
Club Car

I personally went with an extra battery (sealed AGM "scooter" type) and could not be happier. Like SaltLifeCC I use a battery tender to charge it and have apermanent pigtail attached to the battery so that all I have to do is flip down the dash door and hook it to the tender. I was all for the reducer but just couldn't make myself feel comfortable about such a small item being hot with 48V all the time. Even with the ones with a trigger wire if something went wrong a serious problem could happen. Anyway just my $0.02.
ramblin-wreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 02:38 PM   #18
erict
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramblin-wreck View Post
I personally went with an extra battery (sealed AGM "scooter" type) and could not be happier. Like SaltLifeCC I use a battery tender to charge it and have apermanent pigtail attached to the battery so that all I have to do is flip down the dash door and hook it to the tender. I was all for the reducer but just couldn't make myself feel comfortable about such a small item being hot with 48V all the time. Even with the ones with a trigger wire if something went wrong a serious problem could happen. Anyway just my $0.02.
And it runs your lights and radio fine? What are the specs on yours?
erict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 03:07 PM   #19
ramblin-wreck
Getting Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by erict View Post
And it runs your lights and radio fine? What are the specs on yours?
Yep runs them both with no problems. I've ridden for probably an hour with both radio and lights and have had no issues whatsoever. It is a 35 amp hour battery. Here's a link to my post with some pictures.

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...precedent.html
ramblin-wreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 12:06 PM   #20
thefuzz
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

well thanks EVERYONE I'm going with the XTRA 12v ..

thanks...
thefuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car