lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-10-2015, 06:40 PM   #11
jjance
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Batteries test good but light randomly comes on.

I noticed lately that the DPI charger is being recommended a lot. But this might be the route to go. The Club Car charger with the OBC is old technology. When you budget for new batteries throw in a little extra for a DPI charger. Do you know that the batteries are 2013 for sure? What alpha-numerical combination is stamped on the battery terminals?
jjance is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-11-2015, 12:45 PM   #12
shaanar
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjance View Post
I noticed lately that the DPI charger is being recommended a lot. But this might be the route to go. The Club Car charger with the OBC is old technology. When you budget for new batteries throw in a little extra for a DPI charger. Do you know that the batteries are 2013 for sure? What alpha-numerical combination is stamped on the battery terminals?
The batteries are pd plus with a sticker that reads B3. The guy I bought it from said that meant Feb 2013 so I took him at his word. I just don't think they were cared for very well. I am going to get a desulfator and install its. Its too little too late for these, but at least I will have it when I pony up and get new batteries. I will look into the better charger as well. Thanks!
shaanar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 01:15 PM   #13
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

A few thoughts:

The main reason the OBC uses Coulomb counting for charging the batteries is that is the most reliable way to determine SOC. You can use voltage at rest to infer SOC, but it takes some time for the voltage to stabilize for an accurate reading.

If You reset the OBC by disconnecting the pack power for 10 minutes, the OBC loses all information about current condition of the pack SOC as it is stored in volatile memory.

The next time you charge after the reset, the OBC will perform a dV/dT algorithm, which is the same the DPI charger uses.

Also, make sure there is only 1 cable on the pack negative battery post, and that the cable goes through the OBC to the controller B-.

Any other negative cables should be connected to the controller B- or to the bullet connector at the controller provided for accessories.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 03:07 PM   #14
shaanar
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio View Post
A few thoughts:

The main reason the OBC uses Coulomb counting for charging the batteries is that is the most reliable way to determine SOC. You can use voltage at rest to infer SOC, but it takes some time for the voltage to stabilize for an accurate reading.

If You reset the OBC by disconnecting the pack power for 10 minutes, the OBC loses all information about current condition of the pack SOC as it is stored in volatile memory.

The next time you charge after the reset, the OBC will perform a dV/dT algorithm, which is the same the DPI charger uses.

Also, make sure there is only 1 cable on the pack negative battery post, and that the cable goes through the OBC to the controller B-.

Any other negative cables should be connected to the controller B- or to the bullet connector at the controller provided for accessories.
Wow! Thanks for the info. I am going to go look at that right now. Thanks again!
Old 03-11-2015, 04:23 PM   #15
jjance
Gone Wild

Club Car

Another reason to be suspicious of the batteries. I just did a Google search on "pd plus battery" and came up with no results.
jjance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 04:35 PM   #16
shaanar
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Another reason to be suspicious of the batteries. I just did a Google search on "pd plus battery" and came up with no results.
According to this thread they are ok batteries. http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...batteries.html I think they were just not cared for.
Old 03-11-2015, 04:36 PM   #17
mymonstertruck
Gone Wild

Club Car

What's the purpose of only having 1 negative cable on the negative battery post? I have my digital voltmeter negative running to the Negative battery post?
mymonstertruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 04:50 PM   #18
txpres
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
I believe they are made by Johnson Control. My 2014 Club Car came with them installed. They seem to work fine so far.
txpres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 04:55 PM   #19
CCFanatic
DS Drivers Club Founder

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpres View Post
I believe they are made by Johnson Control
Correct
CCFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 06:53 PM   #20
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by mymonstertruck View Post
What's the purpose of only having 1 negative cable on the negative battery post? I have my digital voltmeter negative running to the Negative battery post?
The OBC "counts" energy removed and added to the batteries as current passes through the Hall effect sensor opening.

I don't think the OBC resolution will read anything as small as the current drain from a digital meter, so no problem with that.

I just plugged mine to the existing wires on the back of the dash, it is pretty close and at the very worst the reading will be a little less which is a good safety margin to have.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car