lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-07-2011, 07:44 AM   #11
ThatguY
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Motor or controler????

Also what can the upgraded motors like the d&d102 and or a rebuilt PQ handle.(is the 700 amp controller the right choice for this app. or do you need a stronger motor like the assassin or the Beast? Just trying to understand the limits of these products to make the best longterm choice. TY
ThatguY is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-07-2011, 08:13 AM   #12
ThatguY
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

What can the pq bandit and the d&d102 handle as far as controllers? is the 700amp to much? do you need an assassin or a beast for that controller???? and does running 36v sytem with the 700amp controller temporarly, reduce the stress factor on the stock motor? I want to do it all 48v, 700amp, motor, solenoid, etc...... with funds permitting. got enought to dive in now just not in over my head:)
Old 04-07-2011, 09:11 AM   #13
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

All of the aftermarket motors will handle the big controllers. The 36v stock motor on 48v is at your mercy. It is only a golf cart motor. Your best service will come from reasonable usage... this includes avoiding tires over 22 - 23 inches on electric carts & minimizing load & moderating driving habits.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 10:23 AM   #14
ThatguY
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Sorry for the some what redundant?'s but i got another. So if i get a 700amp controller will my motor last a little longer if i stay with a 36v system until I can get the new upgraded motor? Like i said I know where i want to go just dont have the 1200-1800 to lay down right now. maybe 1/2. But I cant leave it stock and i'm really currious anbout the improvment vs the step i take.
Old 04-07-2011, 11:17 AM   #15
rocknrone
Romans 1 : 16 Unashamed

E-Z-GO

I believe what Scotty has told you is that a controller is only a valve that allows a motor to draw amps from the battery pack. The bigger the amp controller, the more amps it allows the motor to draw. However, it does not force amps into the motor,causing motors to burn up; not even stock motors. It merely lets the motor draw what it asks for. That's why a 275 stock controller is very limiting. It will only allow the motor to draw so many amps before it is restricting the motor; whereas a 5-700 amp controller will allow the motor, even stock, to draw basically as much as it wants. I've been told if you're going to do an upgraded stock motor or equivalent, a 500 amp controller is plenty. Only if you want a custom built motor like the assassin or something comparable down the road should you need something like a 700 amp controller. If you put a 700 amp controller on your stock motor at 48 volts, it should not burn the motor up as far as I've been told and understand. But your usage of the cart is key to this. You can't put great big tires on it, stall it, rev it wide open up on stands, etc...What SimpleMan's planning to do is the same thing I'm planning to do. Get the 700LGS controller and hd 48 v solenoid from Scotty with the 2 ga cable set and upgrade to 48 volts. Run it for a while, maybe a year or two, and then get pq to build me a custom, torque mad, 25-30 mph machine. I think your plan is solid. I have been doing a lot of research on sparky carts, and I have never upgraded the first one, but I'm fixing to. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong so I won't lead ThatGuy, myself, or anybody else astray!
rocknrone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 11:58 AM   #16
ThatguY
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

"Get the 700LGS controller and hd 48 v solenoid from Scotty with the 2 ga cable set and upgrade to 48 volts. Run it for a while, maybe a year or two, and then get pq to build me a custom, torque mad, 25-30 mph machine. I think your plan is solid. I have been doing a lot of research on sparky carts, and I have never upgraded the first one, but I'm fixing to. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong so I won't lead ThatGuy, myself, or anybody else astray!"

This is my same plan..... I understand the flow control!!!!!...... MY last question wasnt about a if it could handle it . It was if I "left the system 36v w/ 700amp controller for now Should it last longer in theory than if i were to put 48v 700amp controller to it".
Old 04-07-2011, 12:12 PM   #17
rocknrone

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatguY View Post
"Get the 700LGS controller and hd 48 v solenoid from Scotty with the 2 ga cable set and upgrade to 48 volts. Run it for a while, maybe a year or two, and then get pq to build me a custom, torque mad, 25-30 mph machine. I think your plan is solid. I have been doing a lot of research on sparky carts, and I have never upgraded the first one, but I'm fixing to. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong so I won't lead ThatGuy, myself, or anybody else astray!"

This is my same plan..... I understand the flow control!!!!!...... MY last question wasnt about a if it could handle it . It was if I "left the system 36v w/ 700amp controller for now Should it last longer in theory than if i were to put 48v 700amp controller to it".
Sorry to repeat the flow control thing.Right before that, you asked if the 700 amp controller was too big for the bandit upgrade? I couldn't tell if you got it or not. I was simply trying to explain it simpler; in a way that I understand it. Apologies. So maybe I can answer your LAST question. Most folks on here recommend going to 48 v. with the stock motor in a series cart. I've seen Scotty say that many people will never upgrade from there! The motor really comes alive on 48v! So per everyone's recommendations, going to 48v on the stock motor with whatever size controller your heart desires is a good thing. If you stay at 36v with a bigger controller and stock motor, you will see a slight increase in torque, but not speed. I would suggest and plan on going to 48v with upgraded controller with stock motor. Best bang for your bucks as so I've been told. Then upgrade motor later. If money is a problem, like it is with me, You could do it in steps. Upgrade cables first. Then upgrade controller. Then get batteries, solenoid(since it's voltage specific), and h/d f/r switch, and then motor. I was just trying to help. I've talked to Scotty about the same things via pm, and I was just passing on what I learned.
Old 04-07-2011, 12:29 PM   #18
madoc1
no clue

E-Z-GO

i agree rock. that is what i did but only used a 480 controller. will probably stay with that as it goes 21mph. but then maybe not.
madoc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 01:32 PM   #19
ThatguY
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Sry Rock think I may have come off wrong! I truly appreciate any advice that is given! I think that I will take your plan of action and go in that order. It just so happens I am in process of building my wires now( helps to be in the welding buisness:) Thanks again Rock
Old 04-07-2011, 04:56 PM   #20
rocknrone

E-Z-GO

No worries, it's all good.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO