lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-18-2012, 04:29 PM   #1
shabria
Not Yet Wild

Default Ezgo electric intermittently will not run

This 2007 model will run just fine for a time then suddenly refuse to go. Then decides to go for awhile then quits again etc.. Batteries are fully charged and only one year old. Sometimes when you hold down the accelerator pedal it will just sit there and then bang off it goes at full speed
shabria is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-18-2012, 04:35 PM   #2
rib33024

Default Re: Ezgo electric intermittently will not run

Welcome to BGW shabria

where is your forward reverse switch at, on the dash, or next to your knee?? and do you have a tow/run switch on the controller cover under the seat on the passenger side of the cart, is the cart lifted and big tire?? or is it stock.
rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 05:53 PM   #3
shabria
Not Yet Wild

Hi

Thanks for reply. The forward/reverse switch is on the dash. We do have the tow/run switch and the cart is stock.
Old 02-18-2012, 06:30 PM   #4
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Sounds like you've got a 2007 TXT PDS (TXT is the body style - PDS is the drive system) For troubleshooting type questions, the PDS part is the important thing to mention.

If the cart is stopping rather than just slowing down to about 2MPH, I suspect the Solenoid is dropping out. When the cart is misbehaving, can you hear the solenoid clicking when you press the throttle?

If not, it could be just a loose or bad wire or connection.

There are 6 set of switch contacts the must be closed for the controller to energize the solenoid and any one of them, or the wires connecting them to the controller could be causing the problem.

Do you have a DMM and a schematic?
You can download the Owner's, Service and Parts manuals here: (The three .pdf files)
http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...g-manuals.html

Intermittent problems are difficult to troubleshoot.

Last edited by JohnnieB; 02-18-2012 at 06:34 PM.. Reason: added info
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 07:15 PM   #5
shabria
Not Yet Wild

Just talking to my wife (this is her cart) and she has mentioned that one thing it has done is to go dead slow with the back up warning beeping even though it was in forward and then suddenly stopped all that and functioned normally.

I don't have DMM or Schematic. Will that be in the files you mention?
Old 02-18-2012, 07:35 PM   #6
TDAWG
Gone Wild

Put the cart in diagnostic mode. Instructions are on the controller cover. See what the beep codes tell you when the cart fails.
TDAWG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 08:15 PM   #7
shabria
Not Yet Wild

OK, I'll pull the cover tommorrow and see what it looks like. Might have to wait untill the problem occurs again to find out anything. I'm thinking forward/reverse switch from some other stuff I have read.

Thank you so much for your help.
Old 02-19-2012, 07:20 AM   #8
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by shabria View Post
Just talking to my wife (this is her cart) and she has mentioned that one thing it has done is to go dead slow with the back up warning beeping even though it was in forward and then suddenly stopped all that and functioned normally.

I don't have DMM or Schematic. Will that be in the files you mention?
The beeper is used for a lot of things in addition to warning everybody within a half mile the cart is in reverse.

Could be going into a low battery condition, or thermal overload. Both of those will slow the cart to about 2MPH and then might perform normally a few minutes later.
Need to know the beep-code when it happens.
Here is the label that is on the controller cover. It's a bit easier to read this way.
Instructions for putting controller into diagnostic mode is at bottom of label.

You'll need a DMM (Digital Multimeter) to maintain cart and troubleshoot problems.
An inexpensive one from an auto parts store or one of the *-Marts will suffice.

The three *.pdf files in the link I provided in my previous post are the Owner, the Service and the Parts manuals that cover a 2007 TXT PDS cart. They also contain info on the carts with series wound motors also, so be aware that some sections apply to PDS while other sections apply to Non-PDS.

The Service manual contains a schematic for the PDS (Precision Drive System), but here's a copy that can be printed out easier.

The battery is the heart of a battery powered cart, so that is usually the best place to start troubleshooting.
Here is a drawing of battery layout and where to attach the Negative test lead for most troubleshooting voltage measurements.

Last but not least is a table showing what the individual battery and total battery pack voltages ought to be at various percent of charge (SoC or State of Charge)

Put the batteries on charge and then let them "Rest" for at least 6 hours after charger automatically shuts off. Measure and record the total pack voltage (BL- to BL+ on drawing) and the individual battery voltages.

The pack voltage should be approximately 38.2V and each battery should be about 6.37V, or there are some battery issues that need to be addressed.

Let us know what you find.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PDS Label on Controller Cover.JPG (142.9 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg Wiring Diagram - PDS.JPG (64.6 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg Battery Wiring - TXT and Medalist - B+ B- connections.JPG (32.7 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg batterytable1118242f71.jpg (43.1 KB, 4 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO