lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-18-2012, 09:54 AM   #21
rlw
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Location: Southeast Ohio -- "The Toenails of the Foothills of Appalachia"
Default Re: New Batteries and Cables

I posted a question about ILSCO DE-OX last night that may be pertinent to this discussion.

This is the stuff you use in a breaker box when you have aluminum feed wire. It's been in MY breaker box for 15 years or more, and I haven't seen any evidence of corrosion yet.

Admittedly, there's no sulfur dioxide floating around in the breaker box, but it does seem to protect from oxidation.

I saw a couple of posts in a wind/solar panel forum where at least one guy swore by it on all his connections. More info is available at www.ilsco.com. The discussion about battery lugs is in the Wind/Sun forum at post #15. That post also has a very good procedure for building your own battery cables.

RLW
rlw is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-22-2012, 07:25 AM   #22
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicj View Post
This is only true for AC. skin effect
-sj
Quote:
Originally Posted by yurtle View Post
Thanks. I'm calling BS on several posts, just for the record.
FWIW: Golf carts (other than the resistor type drives) don't run on DC, or at least not straight line DC.
They use PWM (Pulse Width Modulation), or AC in the later designs like the RXV.

I don't know the frequency of the AC used in RXV's, but the PWM used is in the high sonic range (15 to 20 kHz)
Since back EMF is generated by the leading and trailing edge of each DC pulse that makes up the PWM, some skin effect will exist.
Exactly how much, I don't know.

Nor do I know if there would be a measurable difference in the dynamic resistance of a low strand count cable versus a high strand count cable in a typical golf cart application.

An ambitious person, which I am not, might build a couple test cables (one low strand count, one high strand count) a few feet long (longer the better - but must be equal in length), connect them in series and measure the voltage drop across them under similar driving conditions.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 07:52 AM   #23
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

How very interesting, it looks like the thread is turning around and heading towards welding cable.
Actually I might be eating a little humble pie now. I started to think about the hostile environment and realized that when batteries gas they can smell like rotten eggs which is some form of sulfur. We also know that we have hydrogen and oxygen given off and the chemical symbol for sulfuric acid H2SO4. I am no chemist but if that stuff combines, condensates and settles in the battery box it sounds like a recipe for a hostile environment.
Now if you will excuse me I am choking on this pie.

Dave
Dave Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 10:45 AM   #24
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Box View Post
How very interesting, it looks like the thread is turning around and heading towards welding cable.
Actually I might be eating a little humble pie now. I started to think about the hostile environment and realized that when batteries gas they can smell like rotten eggs which is some form of sulfur. We also know that we have hydrogen and oxygen given off and the chemical symbol for sulfuric acid H2SO4. I am no chemist but if that stuff combines, condensates and settles in the battery box it sounds like a recipe for a hostile environment.
Now if you will excuse me I am choking on this pie.

Dave
The rotten egg smell is probably sulfur dioxide (SO2), and two of those molecules plus a molecule of Hydrogen gas (H2) yields H2SO4.
Also, There might be some Hydrogen Sulfide (H2S -aka Hyrdosulfuric acid) gas, which also smells like rotten eggs, present and that takes two molecules of gaseous Oxygen (O2) to produce sulfuric acid.

I'm not a chemy either, but there are definitely some weird things happening in the battery compartments of golf carts.

BTW - I hear that Absinthe counteracts the gag reflex when eating humble pie.
Of course, I've eaten so much of it, I no longer choke.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO