lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-29-2012, 08:23 AM   #1
pjmia96
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Post Diode???

Hi, On my 1991 Ezgo Marathon Electric golf cart I found one of the wires on my solenoid loose (Large Post To Battery). When I was tightening it I pulled a diode apart. (connected to the 2 Large Posts on Solenoid). The golf cart runs fine without this diode. My question is should I get another Diode that goes on the 2 large posts of the solenoid or is it OK to just use it without one?

Matt
pjmia96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-29-2012, 08:28 AM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Diode???

It is a resistor not a diode. Use 220-270 ohms for 36v. You need it to precharge the controller and extend it's useful life during everyday use.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 08:32 AM   #3
pjmia96
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Ok I will Order one now. Do you think it will be OK to run it without one for about a week or no?

Thanks Scotty,

Matt
Old 06-29-2012, 05:06 PM   #4
pjmia96
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Got the Part all Ordered. Thanks Again Scotty B.

Old 06-29-2012, 05:17 PM   #5
Andy4639
48/400/Alltrax HS motor

E-Z-GO

Question Re: Diode???

It keeps the selonoid from arcing when engaged. It will run fine but may cause some pits on the inside of the terminal's.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 09:01 PM   #6
pjmia96
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Post Re: Diode???

The part is on its way.

Hopefully I can keep it running long enough for it to get here....

Today I added a 6 Volt battery to the 4 8volt 32 volt cart. And now I have a 38V golf cart. I figured usually the 36v golf cart chargers top the battery's off at around 38v so I figured it cant hurt much as long as I stay over 38V. I was amazed at the power increase and the Motor and F&R switch don't even begin to get warm anymore like they would at 32Volts, (As Expected).

All Is Good

Matt

EDIT:

BGW...or... anyone on this forum, ... BGW itself, is/are NOT responsible for your actions in the result of using, or, misusing this information that may cause possible damage to yourself, your property, or someone else!
Old 07-03-2012, 01:01 PM   #7
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Matt you know I have supported your experimenting with DC drive systems through numerous PMs and posts in many threads but, just for the kids at home let me say this:

Under-volting a DC system (36v motor on 32volts) creates an high amperage draw situation. This can lead to higher than normal temps resulting in F&R switch and controller damage.
Under-charging batteries (using a 36v charger on 38+v batteries) will result in the batteries not being fully charged which over time will result in diminished amperage transfer (in+out) capacity.

I think all golf cart techs experiment a little and some techs make great discoveries. Some cart components bite the dust in the process that is expected, it is part of the cost of knowledge, believe me I have pictures of some the stuff that composes some of my greatest discoveries ! ....

Be safe and enjoy!
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 07:53 AM   #8
pjmia96
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Thumbs up Re: Diode???

Well I got it running in forward only for now with one micro switch for now until I order a new one.

I totally agree with you Scotty, Things were not really getting too hot on 32 Volts because I was only taking short rides here and there. Then I took a long ride around the farm coming up hills. I put my hand on the F&R and Motor and all I can say is WOW. So I added a 6 volt battery to the 4 8 Volts to make a 38 volt system. Went for a Nice Long Drive about an hour drove all the way around the farm the same way I did before when it was getting hot on 32V and nothing was hot at all everything was nice and Cool...Mission Complete. I'm doing some rewiring on the Cart now. Recently I have been having a small problem with the cart now because there seems to be a loose wire somewhere. Recently whenever I want to go I would have to stomp on the gas multiple times to get the solenoid to click. At first I thought it was the Red throttle wire coming from the Controller to the micro switch on the F&R switch but I made a brand new wire because the other one was barely together and that was not the problem. So next I took out the Micro switch next to the pot box and cleaned it out, I made a new wire coming from the solenoid small post to micro switch because that wire also looked worn out (Orange Wire), I also replaced a few other wires coming from the Controller with wires I made. I'm going to put everything together and charge it up and see what happens. Also Scotty, To charge the battery's in my 38V System I am using a (Multi Battery Charger). This charger will charge battery's of different voltage (6,8,12) setup in a series for as long as you need it to. It usually takes about 10-12 hours to charge the pack when they are almost dead a fully charged pack should be somewhere around 40 Volts Total I think?? so we usually put it on the charger at 7PM and remove it from the charger at 7 AM. We let it charge overnight. I will go outside now and post the model of this charger for everyone to see. Its a Nice charger. Charges this golf cart right up. My uncles workers Love this golf cart. Now that I added the 6 Volt battery this thing fly's up hills like nothing.

I will be Back,

Thanks Guys,

Matt

Tags
diode, electric, ezgo, marathon, solenoid
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO