lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-30-2014, 11:21 PM   #11
Sparky08
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Club Car charging issues fuse pops out of charger

Did the entire kit work? I'm having the same problem and I only changed the rectifier. My problem is still happening.
Sparky08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-30-2014, 11:32 PM   #12
jakesnake27
Gone Wild

Welcome to BGW...
Circuit breakers can weaken as they pop, it is best to replace all three components.
jakesnake27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 08:06 AM   #13
Sparky08
Not Yet Wild

Thank you
Sparky08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 02:45 PM   #14
Garry2000DS
Not Yet Wild

I have about the same problem, maybe I can get some help here.

I have a 2002 DS.
I have installed a kit with a rectifier, circuit breaker and relay from a well known ALL CART web site.

When I plug mine in, after about 5 seconds, the meter maxes out and the charger hums. After a couple more seconds, the fuse pops and the charger cuts off.

I did the voltage test as described in a post from ForBruce. He says to plug the charger into the cart (DO NOT PLUG THE CHARGER INTO 120V) and measure the voltage from the DC side of the rectifier. He says that it should be the EXACT same voltage that is read directly from the batteries, but didn't see what the problem was if they were not EXACT. My batteries shows 48.1 volts and the DC voltage at the rectifier was 37.2 volts.

I also bypassed the relay and measured the voltage at the plug and got ~48V but the meter did nothing.

Any help would be appreciated.
Garry2000DS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 09:32 AM   #15
Garry2000DS
Not Yet Wild

Angry Re: Club Car charging issues fuse pops out of charger

A little more information;
I took a known good charger and it charged fine. I then bypassed the OBC by disconnecting the gray wire at the fuse and connecting a wire from the input side to the negative battery terminal and tried to charge again. The results was the same as before. So, I would think that this test indicates that the problem is not the OBC.

Anybody?
Old 06-02-2014, 05:49 AM   #16
Stevegrmich
Medicare Recipient
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garry2000DS View Post
A little more information;
I took a known good charger and it charged fine. I then bypassed the OBC by disconnecting the gray wire at the fuse and connecting a wire from the input side to the negative battery terminal and tried to charge again. The results was the same as before. So, I would think that this test indicates that the problem is not the OBC.

Anybody?
. . . if a KNOWN GOOD charger worked on your cart properly, then your OBC is functional . . . your charger is the issue . . . are you POSITIVE that the new rectifier was installed/wired properly?
Stevegrmich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 07:38 AM   #17
Garry2000DS
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevegrmich View Post
. . . if a KNOWN GOOD charger worked on your cart properly, then your OBC is functional . . . your charger is the issue . . . are you POSITIVE that the new rectifier was installed/wired properly?

The known good charger was a PowerDrive, not the PowerDrive2. I assume they would act the same.

Yes, I took lots of pictures before installing the kit. I did the diode test (test 4) in the battery charger service manual Between two of the pins the book called for .878 mine tested 1.24. I don't know if this is acceptable or not.
Old 06-03-2014, 05:48 AM   #18
Stevegrmich
Medicare Recipient
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garry2000DS View Post
The known good charger was a PowerDrive, not the PowerDrive2. I assume they would act the same.

Yes, I took lots of pictures before installing the kit. I did the diode test (test 4) in the battery charger service manual Between two of the pins the book called for .878 mine tested 1.24. I don't know if this is acceptable or not.
. . . any Power Drive charger can be used . . . if you are getting 1.24, read the last sentence of that test procedure:

"If any other reading is obtained, the rectifier has failed and must be replaced."

. . .
Stevegrmich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 05:52 PM   #19
Garry2000DS
Not Yet Wild

Well the guy that I bought the repair kit from sent me a replacement rectifier today. After installing, I get the exact same results. I am totally stumped. The only other thing to replace is the transformer. But When I jumper the relay, I get ~48V at the plug.

Any suggestions?
Old 06-05-2014, 08:06 PM   #20
egartin
Not Yet Wild

I purchased the complete kit and it corrected my problem.

Thanks Everyone.

Eric
egartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car