lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-09-2014, 12:42 PM   #21
Garry2000DS
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Club Car charging issues fuse pops out of charger

I need to apologize for hijacking the OP's thread.

But...I found out what the problem was and maybe someone can use the information.

Originally, the Bridge Rectifier was bad, so i ordered and installed the 3 new parts (Rectifier,Relay and Circuit Breaker). After installation of the new parts, there was no change in my charger. An Electronics Engineer friend came over to help test the charger. He had a Variable Voltage tool which is a big dimmer switch and he turned the voltage down to output 5 AMPS and ran it for about 15 minutes, it was working fine. He upped the amperage to about 8 AMPS for 15 minutes. It worked fine at 8 AMPS. Upped it to 10 AMPS and it tripped the Circuit Breaker after about 5 seconds. We ran that test several times and determined that it was a faulty Circuit Breaker. I tracked down a new breaker from a not too distant cart shop, installed it and it works GREAT now.

The moral to the story; NEW does not always mean GOOD.
Garry2000DS is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-09-2014, 07:43 PM   #22
yetti96
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

I am having similar issues, the charger kicks on and the break trips after about 75 seconds. It takes another 65 seconds for it to reset inside for the breaker to be able to be reset. This cycle can be repeated pretty consistently.

I guess the cart was run too low, not sure if this is because I did not charge one time or it was run too low and now doesn't want to be charged.

I tried to bypass the OBC with connecting the grey wire to the neg terminal from the receptacle. The charger wont kick on at all if the grey wire isn't grounded right?

Hope I'm not jacking the thread but it seemed relevant.

'02 IQ with powerdrive charger, 48v

I want to try to reset the OBC but I have a speed code 5 and not sure if I need to go back to the stock tune before resetting.
yetti96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 11:00 AM   #23
IronOtter
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

I have a used 02 DS that does the same thing. What I read is it could be the charger itself but most likely you've run the batteries too low and the charger cannot get the pack back up to a chargeable level. You probably need to charge each individual battery up with a separate charger, then try your regular powerdrive charger that comes with the cart.

There is also a way to possibly bypass some things but that is beyond my knowledge. There are some topics on the forum that I have seen in the past when I was researching this issue.

My question on the original topic is, should I look into a new charger altogether or should I refurb the one I got. Mine pops the breaker but that can be anywhere from one minutes to an hour later. I'm guessing its something with the charger itself now that I have replaced my bad battery (I had one dead recently) but I don't know. I'm constantly worried about overcharging because it doesn't seem to shut off after long charges.
IronOtter is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car