lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-30-2012, 07:08 PM   #1
brad2388
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Motor roaring questions after swap

Hopefully i can get some help with this. The cart is originally a 99 ezgo series cart. Ive swaped everything over to a pds. I bought a used pds motor 09 stock and i put it on my cart and everything works. Except i have a roar.

This weekend i actually took the motor off and rolled the cart around without the motor and ita quiet. I also spun the motor around and its quiet too. So i get to looking and i was missing the rubber bumper in the old motor so i swapped it over to the pds motor and put it back on. It changed the noise but now its louder.

So im thinking its the splines that are making the noise. Are the splines different from the 98 series cart to the 09 pds motor. Is so should i get a 98 spline for the series motor and change it? Has anyone ever run into this before?
brad2388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-01-2012, 09:28 PM   #2
brad2388
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Motor roaring questions after swap

Should i try and remove my old coupling and install it on the pds motor. Is there a easy way to do that?
Old 10-02-2012, 08:18 AM   #3
Gonkulor
Astronautilator

E-Z-GO

Brad do you still have your old components? If you do, what would be helpful would be the old motor P/N vs. the new motor P/N. Can you find the P/N on your differential casing? I think we need more information before commenting.

Have you checked the lubrication in the differential housing? There should be a plug on the side of the differential pan. Remove the plug from the side of the pan and if no fluid comes out you can try to stick your pinky in the hole and hopefully there will be a little bit of oil on your figure when you pull it out.

There are many areas to look for the growl but I always start with a "what did I do recently" approach.
Gonkulor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 08:51 AM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

I think if the gears were different(Tooth count or angle) they wouldn't mesh at all. What you probably have is 2 different wear patterns. Can you get the input shaft that was mated to the motor and try that installed in your differential?
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 09:12 AM   #5
Gonkulor
Astronautilator

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad2388 View Post
Should i try and remove my old coupling and install it on the pds motor. Is there a easy way to do that?
Is this what he was meaning? Is there an easy way to do it?
Gonkulor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 12:40 PM   #6
brad2388
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

I do have the old motor. I did change the fuid awhile back but it has been quiet and now that i swap in the pds motor it goes to roaring.

So the answer is yes i have the stock motor with the wear pattern coupling.

But how do i get it off the old motor and put it back on the new motor.

It was actually a series motor. Will it fit the pds motor?
Old 10-02-2012, 10:17 PM   #7
COURTESYCART
Gone Wild

i bet the bearing in the back of the motor is bad. I have replaced prob a thousand of them over the last 5 yrs of working on carts.

you really can't spin the motor in your hand due to no support where it bolts to the rear end assy. that bearing cost roughly 15.00 and takes about 15 minutes to put in. the good thing about this is that you can clean out the motor since it has to come completely apart to replace that bearing.
COURTESYCART is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 10:34 PM   #8
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

what I was referring to was the input shaft in the differential... good idea to change that bearing if you know how.
Old 10-03-2012, 05:11 AM   #9
brad2388
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Well with the motor standing on its end the thing is quiet. And i have pulled the cart around the shop and the rearend is quiet to. Leads me to believe its in the coupler area. So i should buy a new input shaft for the rearend instead of swapping couplers from motor to motor?
Old 10-03-2012, 06:17 AM   #10
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

You can try that. The 09 motor shaft may fit a new input as it is not terribly old (and worn).

Ideally you would have the input shaft that it was mated with these past few years. They wear against each other in a unique pattern.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO