lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-03-2012, 08:50 PM   #1
stellix
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default PDS motor on 48 volts

I upgraded to 48 volts a few weeks ago and made my first drive other than around the yard today.i noticed after about a1/4 mile a burning smell coming from the motor so I pulled over and felt the motor and it was very hot.i have the Turbo setting on and brake current at 65%, could that be causing my stock motor to overheat?i always thought a stock 36 volt motor could handle 48 volts,Should I change the settings on my Alltrax to help cut down on the heat?
stellix is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-03-2012, 09:21 PM   #2
Marathon Man
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: PDS motor on 48 volts

I'm pretty sure you will need to get a replacement of have that motor sent to plum quick for some mods.
Marathon Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 09:36 PM   #3
as350pilot
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

How hot was it? I'd get rid of turbo to start, then you will probably need a PQ rebuild.
as350pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 10:08 PM   #4
stellix
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

It was almost too hot to touch,I made it to where I was going and back but I never ran it wide open .it was about a 6 or 7 mile round trip.im thinking about putting it back on 36 volts and see how it does ,do you think my motor could be ruined from overheating it?
Old 11-03-2012, 10:54 PM   #5
stellix
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

I'm only running 20" tires on it with 2 ga cables and an Alltrax 400.What would cause the motor to get so hot? The cables, controller and solenoid never got hot , only the motor.
Old 11-04-2012, 08:45 AM   #6
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by stellix View Post
I'm only running 20" tires on it with 2 ga cables and an Alltrax 400.What would cause the motor to get so hot? The cables, controller and solenoid never got hot , only the motor.
Technically, the motor is not spinning as fast as it should be for the voltage being applied too it.
Therefore, some of the Amps passing through the motor are being converted to heat rather than motion.

In other words, there might be excessive mechanical drag somewhere within the drive train and/or the rolling mass.

Brakes shoes dragging or gummed up wheel and motor bearings are common causes of mechanical drag.

Like mechanical drag, rapid acceleration and climbing hills cause motor heating.
20" tires causes a 10% loss in torque, so you may be pushing in throttle more to compensate for it.

--------------
With parking brake off and on a smooth, hard and level surface , you should be able to push cart easily, once it is moving.

--------------

Yes, heat will destroy a motor, and what you feel on the case is lower than the the temperature of the windings.
They do get mighty warm due to acceleration, rolling resistance and hills, but not hot.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 09:05 AM   #7
stellix
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

I checked the brakes and they aren't dragging,everything is brand new.Would It be better for me to turn off the Turbo feature or lower the brake current? Once a motor gets hot like that even though it's still working is it ruined or If I correct what's cuasing the overheating will it be ok to keep running it?
Old 11-04-2012, 09:17 AM   #8
stellix
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Could it be that my stock motor just can't handle 48 volts?would going back to 36 keep it from overheating ?
Old 11-04-2012, 01:16 PM   #9
stellix
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

I can forget going back to 36 volts,I just changed it back and It feels so weak compared to 48.I made about a mile run up and down a pretty long hill and checked the motor temp and it was barely warm on 36volts.I changed it back to 48 volts and made the same mile run and still no overheating,the only difference was I turned off the turbo and set brake current to zero.I hope that was my problem
Old 11-04-2012, 07:16 PM   #10
cheapjeep2
Gone Wild

Club Car

That motor will handle 48 volts all day long. I have a DCS cart running 48 volts an Alltrax 500 amp controller running on a stock DCS motor that I had Plumquick rework, I have lots of torque and speed and no issues at all with Turbo On. That motor should handle it as is and not need a rebuild just to handle 48 volts.

Are you sure your controller is programmed for the right field map to match that motor? What field map are you running?
cheapjeep2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO